I am wondering what procedure would be best to help me look more feminine? (Photo)

I am a female with very unique prominent features. When I was young I was teased for looking masculine and even though I do still have masculine features I grew into them quite well and am generally happy with my appearance. However I find without bangs and makeup to soften out my face I am still really self conscious of these masculine features at times. Could anything be done with Botox/fillers without going under the knife ?

Doctor Answers 15

Masculine face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If your face in Alberta is considered masculine, you must have a lot of very beautiful men around to compare to. You are a very attractive women at any angle. Sometimes, when you are ridiculed for the way you look in your childhood, psychologically that perception stays with you into adulthood so that reality ( a beautiful person ) and perception mentally (a masculine face) blur what other people see (a beautiful woman). Save your money and forget the past.

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist to discuss your concerns and come up with a treatment plan.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are a number of non-surgical options available that could potentially help you to achieve more traditionally feminine features, depending on which areas you are most self-conscious about. An in-person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist is necessary to customize a treatment plan based on your unique features, but in general, fillers such as Voluma can be used to add volume to “flat” cheeks and sunken temples, contributing to a more heart-shaped overall appearance. In addition, Botox can be used in the right candidate to lessen prominent masseter muscles, thus slimming and softening the jawline. HA fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane can also be used to plump and shape the lips. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist to discuss your concerns and come up with a treatment plan.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

I am wondering what procedure would be best to help me look more feminine?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. You have great features and do not see any indication for softening or changes. 


Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 520 reviews

Masseter muscle reduction to reduce the square jaw

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.

You have beautiful features ...

You have a square jaw and masseter muscle reduction will soften that look.

Masseter muscle reduction can be accomplished nicely with Botox. 

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
you can have enhancement of features with fillers/fat and sculptra.  This with skin tightening such as radiofrequency and ultrasound will also help in combination.  I suggest you see an expert for a consult.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Facial Procedures to make you look more feminine

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would definitely advise you to consider Voluma or Sculptra to improve the mid face.  If you correct that portion of the face, the proportions will look more feminine.  Please consult an expert to have the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Masculine face in a female?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Masculine face in a female? Your features are quite angular but what makes it more masculine is a high prominent forehead and thus you wear bangs to look more feminine. Hairline lowering with the Irregular Trichophytic Forehead lowering procedure which we developed 35 years ago can lower your hairline without a noticeable scar since the hair grows thru it. A conservative rhinoplasty would help also to feminize your face.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

I am wondering what procedure would be best to help me look more feminine?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  Hi, I have performed many facial shaping and contouring procedures over the past 30 years using dermal fillers or facial implants (cheek, chin).   From the photo your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) and the chin is weak which combine to create an elongated oval (almost rectangular) shaped face which is perceived as relatively masculine.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  IMHO, fat transfer is far less reliable at shaping the cheeks and face and as such should be avoided, despite its popularity.  

I'd also like to mention that the upper lip is thin compared to the lower which can be softened with Lip augmentation using a dermal filler or permalip implant.  Similarly, the nose is a bit wide and could be thinned, refined, using a Rhinoplasty, to create a feminine more naturally attractive nose.

Hope this helps.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

What procedure is needed to help me look more feminine?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Janelle,

First, I'd like to echo the sentiment that you are very beautiful. 

I agree that you have unique, prominent features (which are amazing - great forehead, arched brows, large eyes, full cheeks, prominent cupids bow, defined and tapered jawline); however, I disagree that they are classically masculine.

I think, if anything, you should consider consulting a brow specialist to see if a less angled shape (and perhaps a lighter tint) would soften your look. A make-up artist may be able to create this temporarily with pencil so you could see the results prior to committing. 

Of course, it's always best to be evaluated in person so I'd encourage you to consult a cosmetic dermatologist to help you consider all options.

All the best,

Elizabeth Geddes, MD

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Feminine faces

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi there, 

Thank you for your question and photos.

The first thing I have to say is: I think you have a beautiful and feminine face with and without make up!

Now, lets talks about what improvements can you do without surgery: It depends on what part of your face you are contouring with make up. You can make the apples in your cheeks more defined with fillers which augment the soft tissue. To sim down your lower jaw, you can use botox in the muscles on the side of the face to weaken them and make them less prominent.

With your bangs you are covering your forehead. You do have a slightly prominent forehead (many beautiful women have this. Think Angelina Jolie and Alessandra Ambrosio). Some women try to contour their forehead and make it less prominent by lowering their hairline. It does require surgery and you usually get a 1 to 1.5 cm lowering which can significantly alter the balance in your facial proportion for a favorable and feminine look.

I hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.