I would like a mommy makeover but will being a type 1 diabetic interfere with that? (photos)

I am 30 years old and a type one diabetic and I am wanting to get a mommy makeover done but I am wondering if my diabetes be an issue. A year and a half ago I had a gastric sleeve done and I have lost 60 pounds, currently at 207 and have been stable at that weight for the past 6 months how much more should I lose to make me a better candidate for surgery? I know I will not be rake thin but would really like to get rid of the loose skin, still want to be curvy.

MM for a diabetic

Most Diabetics can have plastic surgery safely. To minimize risks, you, your diabetic doctor along with your plastic surgeon need to make sure that your diabetes is under good control before and after the procedure. Although some complications may be increased, such as infection, the odds are generally in your favor that you will do OK

Diabetes and plastic surgery patients

Your plastic surgeon should pay close attention to the trend of your HbA1C over time - there is evidence that HbA1C levels over a certain range are associated with increased complications after cosmetic surgery.

A mommy makeover should be safe, with precautions.

As long as your diabetes is properly managed, you should be fine to proceed with a mommy makeover, but check with your primary physician first to make sure s/he gives the okay. Your plastic surgeon should monitor blood sugar levels as part of your pre-op and post-op care. As for timing your procedure properly, it’s best to have a BMI that falls into the normal range for your height. Results that look curvy should be very possible given your natural frame and figure, and I think that’s a very realistic goal for your surgery.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes

Your diabetes does put you at risk for a higher risk of complications after surgery.  If your diabetes is in good control, your risk can be minimized and your surgery can be successful.  From your photos, you should have a nice result.  Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon who will work with your endocrinologist or internist to optimize your medical condition before and after surgery.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes is not a contraindication to elective body contouring surgery.

As long as your diabetes is in control there's no contraindication to a mommy makeover. If you're planning to lose additional weight I would probably postpone the operation until that weight has been obtained.

I would like a mommy makeover but will being a type 1 diabetic interfere with that?

If your blood sugars are controlled and you are otherwise healthy, surgery can be considered.  I would search for the surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results. Look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.

Mommy make-over and diabetic

Thank you for asking about a mommy make-over.

Excellent that you have lost the weight.
  • If your diabetes is well-controlled and your internist approves the surgery, it is reasonable to have it done.
  • In an ideal world, all patients would be a normal weight before surgery - but 70% of us are not.
  • If your weight is stable and your internist clears you for surgery, you can have the surgery done.
  • A stable weight is better than losing weight, having surgery and gaining weight again.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Diabetes and mommy makeover

Your blood glucose levels need to be well controlled prior to surgery. You would obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician or internist before surgery. As far as weight loss, you should be close to your goal weight prior to surgery. You likely have some loose skin with the 60 lb weight loss from the gastric sleeve, but the best time to have a mommy makeover is when you are at a stable weight. Consult with a few plastic surgeons for more information or submit some photos for review. Congratulations on the weight loss!

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Mommy makeover and diabetes

As long as your diabetes  is kept under under control, it should not be an issue for having the mommy makeover.  The diabetes may put you at higher risks for infection or poor wound healing if not properly controlled.  Since I do not know how tall you are, it is impossible to say with any certainty if 207 is a "good" number for your weight.  If your body shape will allow you to remain curvy with further weight loss, then you should try to lose more weight so your results will be more satisfying.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Although you do not list your height, presumably you have a high BMI. High BMI and management of your diabetes- best be performed at the hospital possibly with overnight stay. However, it is in your best interests to determine what weight for your height will produce a BMI under 30.