Is it common to suddenly worry breasts are too big after surgery? (Photo)

I'm now 3 months post op and all of a sudden these past 2 weeks I've been struggling with my breast size. I have 500cc HP and I keep thinking I should've done 400cc. Perhaps it's discovering that clothes don't fit the same or that I'm worried that everyone will know they're fake. I'm hoping to receive some comfort in knowing this may be a normal reaction after augmentation. I was so happy with them at first, and I still think they look beautiful, but I keep obsessing over size...

Breast Implant Size

From your photo, you have a good outcome and size is a very personal issue. The only person who can tell you if you are too big is you. There are physical limitations, but if you are happy then leave them alone. Occasionally, patients do feel they've gone too big. I would recommend waiting as your results will continue to change with time.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.
Vincent Marin, MD

Is it common to suddenly worry breasts are too big after surgery?

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you have after your procedure.
You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small.I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.

There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period" during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.

Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions ( for example about the results of surgery and/or the need for additional surgery) while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”.

In your case, I would suggest continued patience. Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Settling implants

Thank you for the question and photos.  At this point, your implants should continue to settle and over time lose some volume until you're in the 6th month mark.  You should have your final results by then so give it more time before judging the result.  You do have a beautiful result by the way. Best of luck.
Dr. Michael Omidi. An
in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess
your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Too big

The only person who can tell you if they are too big is you. I do, however, think that there is an adjustment period to your new breasts and it may take some time before you are completely comfortable. Or you may find that you are never comfortable in which case schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss revision options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Implant Size

Thank you for your question. It is common during recovery for patients to go through different emotions and occasionally to have difficulty adjusting to the change of breast size. Many women worry that the size they have chosen is too small, and some will feel that they are large, but in most cases I find that people adjust and become less self-conscious after roughly 6 months. Different clothing or bras will also affect how large, (or small) your breasts appear.

I recommend that you evaluate again after 6 months.

All the best

500 or 400 cc breast implants

If you were happy 2 weeks ago, then it might be helpful to wait 2 weeks from now to see how you feel.   Obsessing does not solve anything.  If you live with them for a few months and the size is not right, then you can considering changing them.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Breast implants

Thank you for your question and photo.  It appears that you have a nice result from the breast augmentation.  Without photos of you before the surgery though, it is impossible to tell you how much of a change you have undergone.  At three months post-op, you should have a good idea of how your breasts will look as there should not be any drastic changes to come.  Also, the new look is very "fresh" so give yourself some more time to let it grow on you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast Augmentation

Hi & thank you for your question & photo.

It is not uncommon for patients to question the implant size they chose. Give yourself at least  6 months, if you are still unhappy with the size contact your surgeon to discuss replacing with a smaller implant. Best of luck!

Thank you for your question.  It is common to have mixed emotions shortly after having surgery.  It's best to give things time to heal and take one day at a time.  Many patients who feel like they chose the wrong size initially end up being very pleased once everything heals.  

Mike E. Gonce, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon