I had a old botched lipo. Starting to consider fixing but not sure if it's possible. Any suggestions?

I had a mini tummy tuck done and liposuction on the upper portion of my stomach 10 years ago. The surgeon obviously sucked too much from the one spot and even after a second attempt I was left looking the same. A couple of years later during another procedure I had another surgeon try fat grafting which didn't seen to do anything either. What if anything can I possibly do to fix this?

Botched Liposuction -- See A Revision Expert

I am sorry to hear this happened to you, this is very difficult to fix.  Fortunately, this is the majority of my practice, hi definition procedures to define and sculpt bodies and fix botched jobs.  There are techniques we can use to smooth out the lumps, get rid of the fat you have, and give better skin tightening.  Externally we can improve the shape and skin more softening with treatments like velashape and venus legacy.  I would do the revision liposuction first and follow immediately with the external devices.  Seek the advice of a well trained body contouring specialist.  Best, Dr. Emer.

A very difficult situation

I think you already know how difficult the situation is to correct.

At this point, you have had one revision liposuction procedure as well as one attempted fat transfer. Both have failed.

Further liposuction will most likely not give any significant improvement and has a high chance of causing more disfigurement.

The reason fat transfer is so limited is because there is no healthy tissue in which to graft.

Before that can be successfully transferred or grafted, there has to be a foundation or base layer of tissue in which to graft the fat.

In the areas that were over-treated, you simply have skin and muscle left. It's not possible to fat graft into dermis or skin, and fat grafting into your abdominal muscles will not create the contour you're seeking.

Some patients do better converting to a full abdominoplasty.

This will still leave the fat layers uneven, but the stretching component may defuse out those irregularities and make them more palatable.

I have little faith for any nonsurgical modality to help with your problem.

Your diagnosis is lacking fat in the wrong area (that's what I'm calling a divot from previous excessive liposuction).

There is no nonsurgical technology that adds or replaces fat.

I am an inherent optimist but also an honest realist and someone who believes in under-promising and over-delivering.

I wish I could wave that magic wand for you.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Revision Liposuction

From the pictures it appears that you have contour irregularities from a combination of a little loose skin as well as residual uneven fat.  This can result from liposuction in an area that might have needed simultaneous skin tightening, or from uneven fat resection, or both.  Depending upon how loose the skin is (best determined in actual consultation), I would either recommend further liposuction utilizing the "High-Definition" Ultrasound Liposuction technique (VASER Lipo 2.0), a tummy tuck to tighten the loose skin, or possibly a nonsurgical series of VASER Shape ultrasound treatments to tighten skin (if it is more minimal than requiring a tummy tuck).  The advantage of using ultrasound liposuction (Vaser Lipo) for the primary treatment is that the heat of the ultrasound waves beneath the skin provides a bit of indirect skin tightening during the fat removal process and helps me prevent these kinds of contour irregularities.  Good luck!  

Julene Samuels, MD, FACS

It's hard to do an evaluation just by taking a look at your pictures, but i think you still have fat in your belly,uneven, and i think liposuction with a small canula can do the trick. Best wishes

Luis Tactuk Simo, MD