I'm young (23) and had a small amount of Voluma in the chin. I want to dissolve it. Can I have my original chin back?

I had voluma injected under my eyes & in the chin. I had it done in Jan. & want to dissolve it. I had it done in LA and after getting out of that crazy city, I realized I did not need it. It's only a small amount of voluma to dissolve, but I was wondering 1.) can I see a different doctor to dissolve the filler (I am in NYC now) and 2.) how does the doctor know how much is needed to dissolve the filler? Also, should I notify the original doctor in LA to ask how much she injected?

Doctor Answers 9

Voluma and Swelling or Results -- Hyaluronidase and Venus Legacy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You can reverse this filler easily, I suggest going to an expert for treatment and someone who is really good at facial sculpting.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 204 reviews

Dissolving Voluma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, you can dissolve the Voluma in your chin. I would normally tell you to go to your original surgeon, but since you've moved, my best advice is for you to find a board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist in NYC with a lot of experience with injectables.


Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 37 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question in regards to Voluma. Hyaluronic acid based fillers, scuh as Voluma can be dissolved. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 214 reviews

Unwanted juvaderm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes it can be dissolved with a reversing agent and you can get back to your baseline chin.  Its reversal cannot completely be controlled, but its easy, relatively painless and takes just a few minutes.  Ideally, you should go back to the original injector to let them address.  However, anywhere that does much fillers for patients will be able to address.  It is just that the original injector will likely adjust for little to no cost if you are dissatisfied for an appropriate reason.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Reversal of Voluma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You absolutely can have the Voluma dissolved and it may take more than one treat with Vitrase to do this.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Needs an exam

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Obtaining your old records would be helpful to your new NYC doctor.  The doctor would like to know how much is in there to help determine how much to dissolve.
More than one dissolving sessions is possible.
Best wishes.

Reversal of Voluma treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The answer is yes. Hyaluronidase can be used to remove or reduce the amount of Voluma placed in the face. It is an educated guess to know exactly how many units of hyaluronidase to inject for a given amount of filler. I prefer to under rather than over treat if I'm not sure exactly how much filler needs to be removed. If you seek a physician injector highly experienced with Hylenex injections in NYC, you should be in great hands. Best.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dissolve Voluma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The amount of Volume you injected won't really matter with regards to dissolving it. Conservative amounts of Vitrase, an enzyme specific for hyaluronic acid, is very effective and easy to administer.The results are almost immediate and there is usually very little side effects. If one treatment doesn't remove all of it a second will
certainly do the trick. 
Most MD's who do substantial amounts of facial injections carry Vitrase and can help you irrespective of who placed the product. I would recommend you use a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist and call to be sure that whomever you choose they have the product available in their office. No worries you should look great in no time
Best of Luck

Lee A. Gibstein, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon

Voluma correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.

If you had the Voluma injected in January, and it should be starting to dissolve at this point.  I know the advertising says it can last up to two years, but that is when it is injected in large amounts.  If your injecter only placed a small amount, it should go away rather quickly probably 6 months or so.  I would just start massaging the area everyday.  You could try to have someone inject a product to dissolve it, but that could lead to scar tissue and other problems.  I would be patient, massage the area, and wait it out. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 79 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.