Does Botox that has migrated take less time to disappear than the one injected directly? (Photo)

Botox was injected into the sides of my nose and migrated to my upper lip. I cannot smile. Will it last 3 to 4 months or less as it wasn't injected directly around my mouth?

Migrated Botox

The effects of migrated Botox rarely last as long as the effects where the Botox was directly injected. Hopefully, over the next several weeks you will see your original smile return.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Migrating Botox?

Thank you for asking this important question. I'm sorry you are having this experience. Migrating neurotoxins tend not to last as long in the areas they migrate to when compared to directly injected areas, but there's no way to tell by simply looking at your photos how long the effect will last. I suggest you speak with your injector to find out how many units were placed in the nose and ask them how long they expect this to last. Be sure you're using a certified injector with plenty of experience! Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Botox side effects

Thank you for your question Bompst. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the mid and lower face Botox can be placed in the nasalis muscle on the sides of the nose to address nasal flaring. It can also be placed immediately beside the nose in the LLSAN muscle to address the gummy smile. Small doses (1-4 units) are usually used. The results (intended and unintended) normally wear off in 3-4 months. If the Botox was placed in the nasalis and spread to the LLSAN, the effect on the lips may wear off faster. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Regaining movement after Botox--Try Venus Legacy

It should take about 3-4 months to dissolve completely, but you may get some movement before then. You can try Venus Legacy treatments to soften the area. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Poorly injected Botox duration

It should take the same amount of time, about 3-4 months for the Botox to wear off. The muscle affected is the levator labii superioris alaeque nasi. I think they wanted to hit the nasalis muscle. This is the sign of a poor injector. I'm sorry this has happened.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Does Botox that has migrated take less time to disappear than the one injected directly?

Botox is a medication injected into target facial muscles to selectively relax them. When Botox spreads into the upper lip the smile is affected. Many patients see a return of movement faster than 3-4 months, particularly in an area that moves so much, like the mouth. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long for Botox which has migrated to wear off

Sorry to hear of the bad results with BOTOX. It is likely to resolve sooner than 4 months. Please post how long it last on RealSelf once the problem resolves.  Good luck,