Just found out about tuberous breasts - what are my options? (photos)

I'm a female going on 20 and I have always known something was wrong with my breasts. I've refused to ever be seen without my top off because I've just always been so insecure and unsure what was wrong with me. Yesterday I came across tuberous breasts, and I definitely have them. What are my options for correction? Do mine look severe enough for insurance coverage if I were to get surgery? Any info is greatly appreciated, I just want to feel like a real woman.

Just found out about tuberous breasts - what are my options?

Thank you for your question. There are different variations of tuberous breast deformity. Basically, it is a growth and development problem that may cause a lot of angst for young woman. Surgery typically involves releasing the tissue that is constricted around the areola, allowing the breast to have a rounder shape.

Tuberous Breast Correction

I’m sorry to hear about the insecurity you have about your breast shape. You do appear to have some elements of a tuberous breast, but these can be corrected with surgery. Surgery typically involves releasing the tissue that is constricted around the areola, allowing the breast to have a rounder shape. A lift may also be performed to address sagging. You can choose to have implants placed if you want larger breasts, but this is not necessary.

Breast Reconstruction with implants

Your breasts are asymmetric and atrophic.

At your left breast tuberous can be seen.

A breast reconstruction with implants for your tuberous breast will solve your issue.

Also a symmetry periareolar access should be done.

Anatomical implants should be used as they give a good result on shaping.

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Options for Tuberous Breasts & Costs

Tubular breasts or #tuberous breast deformity are breasts with unusual shape. They may be very narrow at the base on the chest or the whole breast itself can be very narrow. There are different variations of tuberous breast deformity. Basically, it is a growth and development problem that may cause a lot of angst for young woman. A woman with #tubular breasts are often candidates for #BreastLifts.
Often #BreastLift candidates experience more satisfying results by combining a #BreastLift with #implants to restore superior fullness. In some cases, harvesting one's own fat and transfering it to their breast can be an alternative to implants for qualfying candidates. The options best for you will be discussed during your one-on-one consultation.

Your breast augmentation should be performed by a plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic #surgery/. You then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you want without the need for a revision surgery.
Which is why it is imperative you select a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast augmentation and the incision type, implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your #BreastAugmentation.

Aside from checking #board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Costs of a #BreastLift with and without #implants are contingent on several factors: the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees. Approximate costs can be found on the Real Self website, Surgery.org, or PlasticSurgery.org.

Tuberous breasts - now what to do?

Thank you for your question about your tuberous breasts.

• Unfortunately, insurance will never cover tuberous breast repair these days although they should.
  • It is a normal variant but one many women want corrected.
  • Based on your photos, release of the tight tissue on both sides, a lift on the droopier side and implants over the muscle would be a reasonable approach.'
  • Your next step should be one or more consultations with qualified plastic surgeons for a final plan, discussion of your options and determining the cost.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tuberous Breasts

Thank you for your question and photos. Plastic Surgeons will typically perform a combination of lift/implants along with release of constricted tissue to expand and reshape the base of the breast. Often implants will be placed over the muscle in order to more effectively fill out the newly created breast shape. I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon for consultation to discuss your goals and options.

All the  best

Tuberous breasts

You are absolutely correct that your left breast is tuberous.  I have found that doing a breast augmentation on top of the muscle (subglandular) works well with this problem along with a tightening procedure (mastopexy) on the left side which will make the areolas match better and release of the left breast tissue to allow it to round out more.  If the areola size difference is not bothersome, leave the areola alone.

Best of luck.

Dr T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

You nailed the diagnosis!

You are corrected .  You have a tuberous breast on the left.  There are three components to tuberous breasts:  1)  Narrow breast,  2) Large Areola  3)Ptosis  You have all three.    To correct a tuberous breast, your surgeon has to widen the base diameter of your breast.   This is done by making an incision in the breast tissue, permitting it to flatten out.  If you would like to have something done with your areola, then it would result in a scar around the areola.  If you are happy with the size of your breasts, no additional surgery has to be done, however you might want to have a breast augmentation done at the same time.  This is typically performed by placing the implant behind the breast rather than under the muscle.   Now that I gave you the basis,  please make sure you consult with a plastic surgeon that has dealt with tuberous breasts and is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Best of Luck.

Thank you for your question . In this case, To fix tuberous breast involves breast augmentation. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased to create a more rounded out appearance. with a proper  implant positioning improves the  cleavage between the breasts. Best wishes!!

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Tuberous Breasts

Thank you for your question and for your photographs. In my experience women like yourself have done very nicely with a sub pectoral breast augmentation. It is unlikely that insurance will cover this procedure.