Will Surgical Dermabrasion improve or repair Indented depressed scars on my forehead? (photos)

I have multiple indented scars on my forehead, they were most likely caused from picking scabs when I was a kid. Now I'm older and they really bother me and wreck my confidence. I've tried an excision on the middle one and micro needling as well with little to no improvement. I want to try something more aggressive or effective for my scaring that will be long term, no fillers or anything like that. I'm just wondering if dermabrasion would be effective for my scarring? or any other procedures.

Acne scars on the forehead

I would suggest a combination of ematrix RF, fractional lasers, subcision, fillers, and Exilis tightening to help recontour your forehead scars. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Treatment for depressed scars

Thanks for your question. Dermabrasion would probably improve the scars a bit. Dermabrasion might help to smooth the edges of the depressions of the deeper ones and may be able to erase the small ones, but it probably won't cause your body to fill in the depressions. Another option would be using a non-ablative resurfacing laser that can stimulate collagen production in the deeper layers of your skin. It may take several treatments but you could expect some improvement.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion

Thank you for your question. Dermabrasion would definitely help to even out the scars. It may not take them away completely because of how deep some of them are, but they will definitely be less noticeable. 

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion

Thank you for your question. Dermabrasion is a potential solution to remedy the indented scars on your forehead. As you consider between dermabrasion and other solutions, keep in mind that the dermabrasion procedure can be done as a stand-alone treatment or in conjunction with other procedures for facial correction. I suggest that you consult with a single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Dermabrasion

Hi JamesPatterson, 

Surgical Dermabrasion was an older form of Dermabrasion, there are now options such as Microdermabrasion.  If you've tried an excision and also Microneedling with little to no improvement, we do suggest patients look into Microneedling with PRP for scars.  These treatments do require a physician evaluation, make sure to check out your local American Academy Dermatology website to find your nearest Dermatologist or also your local well trusted Plastic Surgeon.

Thomas Munyon, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist