Will Love handles need to be surgically removed? (photos)

Almost 10 months post op and I hate the love handles left after TT with muscle repair, liposuction and breast lift/implants. Dr. Already took off some fat in office about 6 weeks ago on right side. Says we will re-evaluate in 6 months. Talk about depressing and self conscious. I do t expect be perfect just hate the muffin top.

Will Love handles need to be surgically removed?

Treatment of the stubborn "muffin top" involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction surgery alone  will potentially leave you with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.  

Generally speaking, patients who are undergoing a standard tummy tuck procedure  should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future. Best wishes.

Love handles after liposuction

From your pictures, I am confident that this can get significantly better with aggressive liposuction of both flanks.  I understand your plastic surgeon did some in the office recently, he may need to take you to the operating room to aggressively suction both the areas under some sedation .  Good luck! 

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Love Handles Post Abdominoplasty

Based on the one picture, it appears you are a good candidate for additional liposuction. At this point, the asymmetry in the lateral flanks is not a result of swelling.Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Love handles

After swelling has subsided, you should be reevaluated for residual fat which can be removed with Vaser ultrasound liposuction and/or tummy tuck revision.

Love handles after tummy tuck

In 10 months, most post op swelling has resolved and you are likely to see your final results. If you still have extra skin or extra fat, sometime in office touch up procedures are necessary. Either direct excision or liposuction would likely help the issues that you are concerned with. Your surgeon does appear to be trying to help, it is important that you communicate your frustrations with them. If you did have the right side revised 6 weeks ago it may improve as it heals over the next few months. Unfortunately, a lot of patience is required with plastic surgery.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

It seems like they can still improve with Lipo so i would definitely ask your surgeon one more time. Another option is surgical if there is sufficient excess skin. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Thanks for your question and photo.  Sorry to hear about your disappointment with your outcome after surgery.  It does appear that further liposuction may be possible in the flank area.  However, extending your scars and removing the fullness in the flanks may be a better option if there is skin excess.  Keep in touch with your surgeon and seek a 2nd opinion if you want more information.

Naveen Setty, MD