Incision opening on both breasts at "T" 4 wks after breast reduction/lift. Concerned of possible infection? (Photo)

4 weeks ago I had a bilateral breast reduction and lift. Beyond pleased until today when I saw I had splitting on not one, but both my breasts. Not having noticed it yesterday or the day before. (My tape was removed 3 days ago) it's disconcerting and I'm afraid of infection. Is there anything I can do to prevent infection and/ or worsening of this ? Also what is the best way to promote this area to heal . The last thing I want is for more incision area to split

T incision

Small breakdowns at the "T" are fairly common. Often local wound care is all that is needed to heal this. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

T-point incision

The T-point of any incision is very fragile and it is very common for there to be areas of delayed healing at this location. I suggests that you consult with your surgeon regarding these areas. If they feel there is evidence of infection they may start you on antibiotics. Usually, however, these areas heal up quickly with local care such as ointment and gauze. Each surgeon has their own techniques of treating these areas.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician