Incision opening on both breasts at "T" 4 wks after breast reduction/lift. Concerned of possible infection? (Photo)

4 weeks ago I had a bilateral breast reduction and lift. Beyond pleased until today when I saw I had splitting on not one, but both my breasts. Not having noticed it yesterday or the day before. (My tape was removed 3 days ago) it's disconcerting and I'm afraid of infection. Is there anything I can do to prevent infection and/ or worsening of this ? Also what is the best way to promote this area to heal . The last thing I want is for more incision area to split

Incision opening on both breasts at "T" junction after breast reduction/lift.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing; although understandably distressing to patients, these types of  wound healing problems tend to heal over the course of several weeks. Sometimes, the area may look worse before it looks better. Most often, even larger open wounds have healed by the time a patient reached the two months post op mark.

These wounds go on to heal through a process of contraction where the tissues heal from the sides towards the center of the wound; occasionally, removal of unhealthy tissue (debridement) and/or removal of exposed sutures, may expedite the healing process. Close followup with your plastic surgeon will be important; treatment regimens will vary from one practice to another.  Close attention to good nutrition, including a good protein source, is important. Obviously, avoidance of any type of nicotine product is also important.

Best wishes; despite the incision line healing problem it is most likely that you will be pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure. Sometimes, depending on the appearance of the area, scar revision surgery may be helpful.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

T incision

Small breakdowns at the "T" are fairly common. Often local wound care is all that is needed to heal this. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

T incision

T-point incision

The T-point of any incision is very fragile and it is very common for there to be areas of delayed healing at this location. I suggests that you consult with your surgeon regarding these areas. If they feel there is evidence of infection they may start you on antibiotics. Usually, however, these areas heal up quickly with local care such as ointment and gauze. Each surgeon has their own techniques of treating these areas.

T-point incision