I am now one week post, is this pain normal? (photo)

I was a 34b, 5 foot tall and 125 pounds. I went with a larger implant and my surgeon and I discussed silicone 500cc under the muscle. I had a lollipop lift as well. My doctor gave me a prophylactic antibiotic and I do no like taking pain killers, so I have been using Advil and Tylenol throughout the day. I have been in a lot of pain and still unable to get up out of bed on my own. I still ice my breasts several times a day and still no relief. When will the pain subside so I can get back to normal.

Swelling , some advices:

Thanks for the question.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Kind regards

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Pain and surgery

Some discomfort is normal after surgery. How much is normal for you is difficult to quantify. Best to review with your surgeon.

Pain after mastopexy-aug should be subsiding

some pain is normal after surgery, but it should be getting better at this point, certainly very soon. I would expect you would have a postop visit scheduled with your surgeon within the week, but if not you should call and be seen to make sure all is well and discuss strategies for getting comfortable.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

I am now one week post, is this pain normal?

Thank you for your question.  You obviously need better pain control which could be provided by the painkillers your doctor prescribed.  I suggest that you see your plastic surgeon for an examination and a discussion of how to better control your pain.  Usually the pain that he described has resolved by 1 week after surgery.  Her result looks good on your photograph but he need to see her physician to help manage your pain.

Pain Control

It sounds like you have not adequately adressed your pain control.  Why do you avoid pain medication?  Short term pain medication is designed to control short term pain like that in the post-op period. 

If you have side effects from pain medication, work with your surgeon to find one that agrees you. If you are worried about becoming addicted, discuss your concerns with your surgeon so your pain can be managed without that happening. If you have been an addict in the past and are worried that you will slip, have a trusted individual in your household hold and control your narcotic pain med so you do not have free and unlimited access.

Good luck and I hope these suggestions will help you.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Pain 1 week post op

Thank you for your question.  Pain is different for everyone.  Most patients start to feel much less pain after the first week.  I have had plenty of patients only have pain for 3 days and many others have pain for 2 weeks.  What you are feeling is very normal.  Keep all your follow up appointments and be sure to let your surgeon know of your concerns.  Stay on top of your tylenol and ibuprofen, stay hydrated, and get plenty of rest as your body heals.  Best of luck to you.  

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative pain following breast augmentation

I am so sorry that you are having more pain after surgery than you expected, but don't worry. The discomfort should get better in the next few days. The pain is certainly related to the large size of the implant placed under the pectoral muscle stretching the soft tissues and irritating the nerves. It is also related to the fact that you are not taking strong narcotic pain medication or muscle relaxers. If Exparel was used, the onset of pain can be delayed for 3 days and patients are concerned that their pain is getting worse at that point rather than better. It would not be unusual to require a few narcotic pain pills at least to help you rest. Please discuss this with your surgeon. Congratulations on a great result.

Bruce K. Smith, MD