Would I be a good candidate for Cool Sculpt and Velashape after my hernia repair?

I am a 34 year old woman within 5-10 lbs of my ideal weight. After my 3 pregnancies (not c section), I have weight around my waist. It's definitely pinchable. I have minimal loose skin/stretch marks. I'd like Cool Sculpt to reduce fat & Velashape to improve the skin, but, I have an umbilical hernia, which will be repaired. Would I be a good candidate for these procedures after the repair, & how long should I wait? If not, what other non-surgical options might be better? Thanks!

Wait 3 Months After Hernia Repair to Have CoolSculpting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. You are an eligible candidate for CoolSculpting, however I strongly advise that you wait three months after your hernia repair before getting CoolSculpting. The CoolSculpting procedure has a unique advantage over weight loss surgeries, because it is a noninvasive procedure with no downtime. However, CoolSculpting uses suction cups technology to target and freeze the fat. The strength of the suction over a new surgical area would be inadvisable for a minimum of three months post-surgical repair.

Following CoolSculpting, for loose skin, other cosmetic procedures such as Pellefirm and Velashape help tighten the skin by heating the deep layers of the skin, which stimulates the protein found in your skin. This process causes new collagen formation and production in the dermis which results in skin tightening. Further, Pellevé is another common procedure I perform that helps patients remove the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks. Pellevé is very effective in which it revitalizes the skin through deep tissue heating and gives a mechanical massage for cellulite, thus improving the appearance of your skin. The procedure takes up to four to six treatments for the best results. Best, Dr. Ariel Ostad.

CoolSculpting can be performed six months after surgery.

Dear writer, CoolSculpting can be safely performed six months after the abdominal hernia repair. I still would advise not to place the applicator directly over that area, but to make a combination of placements of applicators that will spare the fixed hernia area, while addressing all areas of excess fat. Additionally, with the arrival of the Flat Applicator (CoolSmooth) this is even less of a concern, as there is no suction involved in its placement. After fat reduction with CoolSculpting, you may have the VelaShape. The new VelaShape III is quite powerful, and provides noticeable improvement in the appearance of cellulite and skin laxity after just 3 sessions. 

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
you can not have coolsculpting in the area of the hernia

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting and Hernia

I would not recommend that you proceed with coolscupting unless your surgeon clears you for surgery after the procedure.  The minimum length of time is three months after the surgical procedure.  Because the applicator can produce a great deal of suction, it is important that the surgeon be consulted and clear you for the procedure before proceeding. 

CoolSculpting over a hernia

Dear nicholek80:

CoolSculpting (CS) is tried and true as a non-surgical option for fat reduction in a skin bulge.

It does have its limitations and therefore you should discuss your desires and goals with a Certified CoolSculpting Physician. 

A hernia is a hole or defect in the "corset or girdle" separating your organs from the fat and skin above it. It is possible that this defect may contain intestine or other organs which when pulled on by  the suction or "frozen" unintentionally by the CS applicator may injure you and cause complications; although I have yet to hear of this complication.  

If you do have a hernia which is not suctioned into the applicator, you will have no concern. 

If you desire to CS a bulge which contains a hernia, I recommend to have the hernia repaired and wait no less than 3 months for adequate scar formation to heal the hernia repair. The CS technician must make sure it is fully healed. 

Other options include having your hernia repaired and surgical liposuction all together by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is able to do both.

I hope this was helpful! Good luck!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Candidate

Thanks for the question, I would suggest seeing a plastic surgeon for an in person exam but if you are having your hernia fixed you are probably great candidate for awake laser liposuction