Is it dangerous to have multiple procedures done at the same time?

In 6 days I'm having a breast reduction, lift and augmentation with 450 cc high profile implants, inner thigh lift, tummy tuck with liposuction back and flanks, and liposuction of saddlebags, arms and knees. Isn't safe to have all these procedures done at once? My doctor said I could return to work in 2 weeks. Is this true?

Combining Multiple Procedures at the Same Time

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. 

#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Although, it is possible to do multiple surgical procdures at the same time, there is a limit to how many procedures or areas of the body one can safely operate on.  I agree with Dr.Pousti, I would not combine all of the procedures you have listed.  Set a priority list and do the top two or three first.  Give yourself at least three months between procedures to allow for healing and recovery.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Are the multiple procedures safe for me

Thank you for asking about a mommy make-over and safety with other procedures.

Safety does come first.
The issue is how trim and fit you are - and how long the surgery will take.

If you are healthy and a normal weight, with not too much fat to be removed, this might well be done in a reasonable time. 

If you are heavy, have health issues, smoke or surgery will take longer than about 6 hours - risks are higher.

With my patients who want multiple procedures, we prioritize them, agree on the length of surgery and then do the least important procedures at the end, time permitting. For you, this would probably be the liposuction.

As for work - depending on your job - two weeks is probably not enough time for recovery from these procedures.

I suggest you go back to your surgeon and discuss your surgical plan to be sure it is as safe for you as possible.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Is It Dangerous to Do Multiple Procedures at Once?

While it isn't uncommon to combine procedures, the complication goes up significantly with longer times and with greater blood loss. The combination you mention would be both very lengthy and possibly subject you to a significant amount of blood loss.

Safety is always more important than getting multiple procedures done at once. Make sure you choose a plastic surgeon who has the same priority. Click on the link below to find out what your need to know before surgery to protect yourself.

Good luck.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

to be honest you have listed too many procedures to be done simultaneously. i am all for doing multiple procedures - i most definitely do not think 2 weeks would be enough recovery. all the best

Nilesh Sojitra, MSc, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Are multiple procedures safe?

Multiple procedures are routine in my practice, and can be very safe in the right environment and when done efficiently with the proper pre-op workup.  However, that is an extreme amount of procedures to be done at the same time.  I would not perform these at the same time for several OR time...blood loss...and post op pain limiting movement and subsequent blood clots from inactivity.  At the least you should probably be kept overnight in an accredited facility.  Good luck and be safe.

Shayne Webb, MD

In my practice, I routinely perform combination procedures with a highly efficient team but personally I would not offer you the procedures you list in a single stage. I would suggest that you listen to your instincts ( which prompt you to ask the question on this forum) and have the procedures performed in stages. Best wishes.

Multiple surgeries

Yes, it is possible and realistic to have all these procedures done at once. In the hands of an efficient, skilled and experienced surgeon, this combination is not uncommon, and can be successful.

To be honest, two weeks seems a bit soon to be back at work comfortably (mainly because of the abdominoplasty/tummy tuck.)  I am not sure what you do for a living, or what type of person you are, but in general, I find that patients forget they are having major surgery with these interventions. It is easy to be caught off guard and wonder why the simple things in your daily routine become difficult as you recover. The liposuction will cause leaking fluid in the first days: normal but a little overwhelming. The abdominoplasty in particular can be a difficult recovery--and it is important that you do it slowly in the intiial period, then transition healthily to a good excercise routine. 

Congratulations on your upcoming surgeries. In the moments your recovery challenges you, remind yourself you have done a lot, and look forward to the rewards. 

Multiple procedures

If your board-certified plastic surgeon has recommended these procedures and is comfortable doing all of the procedures at once, then I would think it is safe to proceed.  2 weeks seems a bit early, but it is possible.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

It is common to combine medical procedures.  Choosing a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, limiting the total length of anesthetic time to less than 6-8 hours, limiting blood loss, operating only in certified operating facilities, having trusted and experienced anesthetic providers, and managing deep vein thrombosis risk are all important points when thinking about surgical safety.  These factors need to be considered in the context of each individual patient, with a thorough history and in person physical exam.  Risk factors discovered during this evaluation could suggest further medical evaluation prior to surgery.  In addition, you should discuss with your plastic surgeon the pros and cons of each of these operations, and the possibility of additive risk for blood clots or blood loss, particularly with the abdominoplasty and lower extremity liposuction procedures.

Kimberly Lu, MD
Issaquah Plastic Surgeon