Can you get Breast Implants and a Fat Transfer to the breast?

Hi, I'm petite on top and my breasts sit far apart because of that and some sagging. Im aware that silicone implants placed submuscular will likely be my path because of the fact i dont have much breast tissue and not a ton of skin either. My question is, is it common for doctors to inject fat as well to fill the gap between wide sitting breasts and to make them appear/feel more natural?i saw a doctor in Spain on here who called them "supercharged" breast implants... Is there a downside to this?

Fat grafting with Augmentation

I don't think combining fat grafting with implant-based breast augmentation is common but it is possible. Determining whether or not it would be useful in helping you reach your aesthetic goals would be based on an examination. See a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck!

Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Implants plus fat transfer

Hello, fat transfer definitely has a role in improving the shape of breasts but it is important to be aware of the additional risks, cost, and possible need for more than one fat transfer session.  All of these details can be discussed in consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Implants +/- fat grafting

I am not a fan of fat grafting for primary breast augmentation.  I prefer to use implants for a more reliable result.

Brest Implants and Fat transfer to Breasts

You should have a thorough consultation and exam with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Usually breast implants and a fat transfer to the breasts are not done at the same time. It' probably better to start with the breast implants then reevaluate fat transfer once you have completely healed. Since you are petite, you may not even have enough fat to transfer.

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and fat transfer

Lory,

Thanks for the question.  Two issues.  First is you are petite.  Do you have enough fat to transfer?? Second, injecting the fat into the breasts at the same time placing an implant into the breast increases the risks for infection.  I would chose the appropriate implants (and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon) and then later assess if a fat transfer is required.

Best of luck in your decision.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Combining fat transfer with implants

The first step is to select implants which are most suitable to your torso. Fat grafting can be used as an adjuvant but keep in mind that if you are petite, you may not have enough fat for harvesting. There are also issues with respect to reabsorption. You could consider a staged approach and ascertain after augmentation whether additional treatment is warranted.

Breast evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  I have done this and this can work well in the right patient.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Simultaneous Fat and Implant Augmentation

Thank you for your question. You are right. It is possible to perform simultaneous fat and implant augmentation. Fat can be used to help narrow the cleavage but it is limited in how much it can do. Often wide cleavage is something that just needs to be accepted by the patient and their surgeon because chasing it can lead to unfavorable results. Typically fat is used in our practice to help even out subtle size differences rather than using two different sized implants or to provide extra volume at the upper pole of the breast. Sometimes we use it to slightly narrow the cleavage. Good luck with your procedure. 

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Enhancing the cleavage gap

Generally breast augmentation does not work to increase cleavage and close the gap between the breasts. If you have wide breasts, then a low profile implant may be used to provide proper distribution of volume within the breasts, especially closer to the sternum. 

Additionally, if you have the implant placed over the muscle, the cleavage will be enhanced as well.

With regards to fat transfer, it can definitely help expand the inner sides of the breast especially when there is not enough coverage in the area. Fat can also be used for improving the shape and correcting the deformities. This requires you to have adequate fat stores in body areas such as flanks, hips, outer thighs, etc.

I would urge you to seek a board-certified plastic surgeon who is an expert with fat and implant-based breast augmentation and share your concerns, desires, and expectations.  

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Combined fat grafting with implants

Thank you for your question.  Fat grafting can be a great addition to implants in someone like yourself with wide spaced chest muscle that limit cleavage with submuscular implants.  The limitation to fat placement is the thickness of your skin.  So, if you are thin, you may require more than one treatment.  Also, you cannot place fat into areas where the skin has been separated from the chest wall or muscle.  If you require a lift with the implant, there may be some areas that are difficult to graft as well.  Best to check with a few board certified plastic surgeons for opinions.  Good luck.