Hello I am interested in doctor's opinion as to what minimally invasive type of "lift" I would need. Any suggestions? (photo)

I am primarly concerned with my neck and jowls and would like the least invasive procedure to address this. I have been told that I need a SMAS lift and I m wondering if there is anything else I can do to address these issues besides a full blown facelift. ThanksLooking to see if I need a full blow face lift to address neck and underneath chin area

Face and neck lift candidate

In our practice, an SMAS face and neck lift addresses tightening loose facial and neck skin, tightening loose facial and neck muscles, removal of the fatty deposits in the neck, and lifting the jowls. Minimally invasive techniques will only give a minimal result. For many examples of face neck lifts, please seen  the link and the video below

What type of lift do I need?

Regina, excellent question. The world of " lifts" can be extremely confusing. I would recommend a in office examination by a PS who has performed hundreds of facelifts in the last few years and also has legitimate minimally invasive options to also offer. I perform a type of lift that is done under a local anesthesia, another words no IVs no breathing tubes, I can perform the full spectrum of lifts ( smas /no smas)and tailor what is needed to the patient. Doing it under local anesthesia allows for a much quicker recovery, cost savings and a much safer procedure. The other thing I encourage pt's to do is consider ancillary procedures, such as laser resurfacing, eye lid procedures..often times this in addition to a facelift can have incredible results. The minimally invasive procedure I also offer is called Thermitight and I have performed over 800 facelifts in the last 3 years. Good luck and would love to visit during a consult.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

You would definitely benefit from a face and neck lift. There are different techniques that we use to tighten your muscles. Discuss these different approaches with an experienced surgeon. The alternatives to a surgical lift will not produce enough improvement to satisfy you. Good luck.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower face and neck rejuvenation

Thanks for sharing.  In my opinion a surgical lift is necessary to get the rejuvenation you desired and ultimately your satisfaction.  A lower face and neck lift is the procedure to get you the desired result.  These lifts require incisions by there are various ways to lift to get you quicker healing.  Do keep in mind the more minimally invasive the more minimal result and I believe in finding each patient the right balance.  Consult with several experienced board certified surgeons to review your options. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift

Thank you for your question, Regina Albany. The Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift is a type of Necklift that is minimally invasive via the laser and subsequently, allows the patient to heal within a weekend. You do not need a facelift to address the neck and jowls. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Full vs mini

The answer as to whether or not you would be okay with
1--simply Botox and fillers and noninvasive tissue tightening
2--more aggressive measures such as full facelift, with facial fat transfer
depend upon a number of variables which can only be determined via a long and thoughtful conversation with your surgeon. Of course, for the gold standard, home-run result, the more aggressive surgical options would provide a better result. Whether or not you want to invest the time, recovery, expense, and risk (albeit small) involved with surgical procedures depends upon your goals, means, and preferences.
Just keep in mind that less invasive options have less dramatic results.
Regardless of any answers on this site, you need to have a sit down with an experienced plastic surgeon.Best of luck!
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

I am interested in doctor's opinion as to what minimally invasive type of "lift" I would need.

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years.  From the attached photos, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess facial and neck fat along with excess facial skin evidenced by jowls and nasolabial folds. These combine to create a rectangular shaped face.  

I tell potential facelift patients to think of creating a more beautiful or handsome face by working on three tissue levels. The bony structure should be appropriate to make a woman’s face heart shaped and a man’s face chiseled and angular which is described below.  Next the fatty layer should be reduced or shaped allowing the shape to be seen and finally excess SMAS and skin evidenced by the presence of jowls) should be removed from the face and neck.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured.  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed 
•excess skin removed from the face and the neck
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Hello I am interested in doctor's opinion as to what minimally invasive type of "lift" I would need. Any suggestions?

Honestly you best option is a Full FL/NL - SMAS with eyes. But the expense and downtime are issues for you. Minimal surgeries are lees costly but offer very minor improvements for the $$s. Best to see in person only boarded PSs >>>>>>

Type of lift needed...

Without seeing you in person or having more photos to evaluate, I tend to agree that a lifting procedure is your best option to treat the jowls and neck. 

It's best to be evaluated by a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who will customize a lift to suit your individual needs.

I frequently perform a temporal, cheek, and neck rhytidectomy (facelift) simultaneously to address signs of aging on the lateral brow, midface, jowls, and on the neck. While all lifts that I perform include tacking the muscles of the face and neck for strength (SMAS lift), I can perform partial versions of this lift whereby only one or two of the main rhytidectomy components (temple, cheek, neck) are surgically addressed to correct signs of aging wherever they appear. Again, this is individualized to the patient.

While a "full" rhytidectomy incorporates the brow, cheek, and neck areas, a “mini-lift” or partial lift may only include the cheek and neck areas, for example. It should be stressed once more; however, that regardless of the number of rhytidectomy components addressed, the lift is performed in the same manner by tacking the muscles (SMAS lift) of the face and neck for strength. I never perform a skin-only rhytidectomy.

Good luck!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

What minimally invasive type of "lift" I would need

Regina: It's all about elasticity. As our skin gets thinner with time, we lose collagen and elastin. When gravity gets stronger than the elastin fibers, the jowls and neck waddle appears. The thread lift has lost its appeal because no skin was removed and it doesn't address the fullness under the chin. A combination of SMAS facelift, neck liposuction, tightening the anterior border of the platysma muscles of the neck and redraping the skin is certainly the most effective way to get you the long lasting result that you desire.

John Standefer MD