Which is the best solution to my make my face look thinner?

I have a square face.Hypertrophic masseter muscle and a strong jawline which gives me a male kind of apperance.I also have protruded forehead edges and all this contribute to a typical square face.I have heard about botox injection to the masseter muscle to make it thinner but it has to be done quite often which I think leads to skin lesions.What can I do?

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question Zija. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle to provide a heart shaped appearance to the face rather than a square shape. Usually an initial series of 3-4 treatments are required. After that most people enjoy their results for 6-12 months after each treatment. I have not seen lesions on the skin after Botox. Bruising may occur. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. A combination treatment plan may be enough for you to accomplish the look you are going for. A consultation will be required to determine the amount of botox needed as well as what (voluma/juvederm/etc) will be used in unison. 

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

-Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Combination treatment with Botox and fillers

Combination treatment with Botox into the masseters and fillers (such as Juvederm Ultra and Voluma) into the temples and midface when done by an experienced injector can have a slimming effect on the face. 

Best Solution for Thinner Face

Botox injections, about 25-35 units for each masseter, every 3 months for about 1 year can help reduce the bulkiness of the jawline. After 1 year, the frequency of injections will depend on how your masseters respond to the injections. I have not heard or seen of Botox leading to skin lesions.

As for the forehead protrusion, forehead surgery or foreheadplasty where the bone is shaven down, can soften your forehead appearance. An incision is made at or within your hairline, forehead skin is peeled down, and a burr is then used to shave down the bone. If your forehead is very protuberant, shaving may not be enough and remodeling with bone cuts may be necessary.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

How to have a thinner face

masseter injections with Botox will make your face look thinner. I am not aware of any skin lesions that result from the procedure.  You need to see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and the results should last at least 7 months and I have had some patients have results for a year

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Which is the best solution to make my face look thinner?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Without photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice but Botox can be used to thin the masseter muscle but it's effects are temporary and will need repeated treatments.  Botox does not lead to any skin lesions so no need to worry.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  

Botox for masseter hypertrophy

Thank you for asking about your enlarged masseter.

• Botox will thin the masseter muscle.
  • The effect is temporary.
  • It may need to be done every six weeks at first, less often as the necessary dose is determined.
  • Botox does not cause skin lesions beyond what any very fine needle mark would leave.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS