Nose tip, two years after Rhinoplasty. Hard and swollen. (Photo)

Hello, It has been almost two years since I had Rhinoplasty mainly becouse I had problems breathing (broken nose). What I do not understand and what makes me worried is the tip of the nose which is really hard when touched and is swollen. I do not know if this is normal or there is something wrong... Thanks for your time.

Revision, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns about your Rhinoplasty with us.

After having analyzed all the info and photos provided to us, i recommend to perform a Secondary Rhinoplasty (not a tip revision) this means (basically) treat the nasal bones and the nasal cartilages.
Therefore i would perform a narrowing of the nasal base (nose osteotomy) and alar and triangular cartilage shaping.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Hmm. Not normal to have a tip so big and hard this long after surgery.

You only posted that one base view, which really doesn't give us lots of information about the width of the tip, how it affects the profile and three-quarters views, etc. But it does look big, I agree.

If the size of the tip is mostly due to the remaining cartilages in the tip, then a significant improvement is possible with a revision rhinoplasty, in the right hands.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below this post, and be sure to read the "More plain talk" section on how to determine whether your primary surgeon should perform your revision.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for an attractive nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

I usually make computer morphs when I'm answering questions like this, to show the changes that are possible for your nose with a rhinoplasty, but you only posted that one photo.  If you click on the "Web reference" link, and scroll to the very bottom of the page, you'll see instructions on sending more complete photos if you'd like a more complete evaluation.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon