Should I get my Breast or tummy tuck first?

Breast Surgery or Tummy Tuck?

In many situations it is possible for patients to have both of these procedures in a single combined operation. The benefits are a single anesthetic, one operation, one recovery, and generally some cost savings. The overall recovery may be a little longer but as long as you are healthy, most patients find that a single procedure is worth the extra effort. There are of course limits, and at a certain point it is not in the patients best interest to combine too many procedures at one time. It is interesting that you pose this question as most patients that we see from AK want to combine procedures so they don't need to make multiple trips to accomplish their goals. 

Can be combined, but if forced to choose, I would recommend the tummy tuck first

In the right candidate, these procedures can be combined into one surgery (i.e.-Mommy Makeover) and this is certainly a reasonable option for many patients.

If one had to be done first for some reason, I would recommend the tummy tuck first. A tummy tuck will change the appearance of your whole upper body and typically makes the breasts look much bigger. I have many patients who have friends and acquaintances exclaim "Oh you got your boobs done!" when nothing has been done to the breasts, they just look much larger now that the stomach and waist have gotten that much smaller. So if you are considering implants or lift vs reduction or anything that would change the size of the breast, in the purest sense, this assessment can best be made after the stomach is a better size.

In addition, if a lady has a great looking stomach from a tummy tuck, she will be excited to wear shape fitting clothes and swimsuits and a well chosen bra can improve the appearance of her chest. If a lady has a breast operation, but is still not excited about her stomach's appearance, she will be less likely to enjoy the results from her breast operation as she will still be bashful because of her stomach.

So in my opinion, if they were done separately, I would recommend the tummy tuck (with concurrent liposuction) first.

About the Mommy Makeover

A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  Often, these procedures are performed together at the same time as part of a mommy makeover.  It avoids a second operation and provides savings in cost.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD

Breast surgery + tummy tuck = mommy makeover

A lot depends on what type of breast surgery you are considering, but in general breast and tummy are done together. That would also determine which one you do first if you do separate them.

Richard Baxter, MD

Combining procedures

These two procedures are often done in the same trip to the operating room.  Is there a specific reason you want to separate them? The benefit of doing them together is one recovery, and there is often at least a small cost savings.  If you definitely want to separate them, you can choose either one to begin with.  Speak to a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more.

Camille Cash, MD

Surgery timing

Thank you for taking the time to post a question. 

These two surgeries are often combined together. Having it performed at once decreases your down time and your expenses. The tummy tuck is the larger of the two surgeries and generally has a longer recovery. 

If you need to divide them for cost reasons or other reasons, then I would fix what bothers you the most first. There is no significant advantage to doing one before the other so chose what works best for you.

Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon

Hey mpgaleon! Why not have them done at the same time! :)  This is a very routine operation for me, do them as a combined case weekly.  A lot of happy women!  Great surgeries.  Great to combine as you should have cost savings and only one recovery period, a win-win.  You should do your research and find a surgeon that is comfortable doing them at the same time!  Combining the two surgeries is what most call the wonderful "Mommy Makeover"! If you have further questions, feel free to contact me back directly.  Good Luck with your research.  

Shelby Brantley, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

MOMMY MAKEOVER

In my practice Breast Augmentation and Abdominoplasties are usually performed at the same time. This is referred to as a "Mommy Makeover".  This allows for less time off of work. Usually the overall cost is less. I would discuss this approach with your surgeon.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon