Going for dermapen over fraxel or other scar treatments? (photo)

Hi, I submitted a question yestersay regarding scar treatments, result of picking pimples and comedones. I was suggested to go for Fraxel, microneedling, fillers etc. But unfortunately I cannot afford those. My choice was to go for a dermapen which I plan to do at home (once every 2 weeks) along Vitamin C Serum (daily application) until my indented scars disappear, if God wills. Will this alternative treatment possibly help my acne scars? Thank you!

Getting results you want = priceless: acne scars treatment

For best results, you'll need to see an expert in acne scarring. Home treatments won't give you the outcomes you want and could potentially increase scarring if done incorrectly. I recommend getting a formal evaluation for options. this type of scarring needs punch excisions or TCA cross.  Best, Dr. Emer

Skin needling, etc...

OK, any treatment that is going to be meaningful will require either specialist intervention or at home treatments that require numbing cream. Legally we can not advice deep skin needling, however if you were to try this, or micro needling, you will possibly need numbing cream and, ideally post op antibiotic ointments. You can try copper peptides and also post needling vitamin A creams. These are not Gold Standard approaches, but they are the best DIY tips I can SAFELY give. 

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Dermapen, Microneedling versus Fraxel

Dermapen or the Eclipse Micropen requires topical numbing cream to penetrate deeply and have any meaningful effect.  We use PRP with microneedling in my office to have the best cosmetic results. These ice pick scars are quite deep and it will take a great deal of treatment to improve these scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne scar home treatment

Dermapen at home? This usually requires numbing cream in our office. Microneedling has shown benefits and should help. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Dermapen at home; ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

In my opinion, dermapen may help you. However I think you will find it difficult to use and control. A microneedle roller would be a good alternative. You can roll your face twice a day and expect to see some results in acne scarring. Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon