Worried about the swelling of my clit. It's huge! Also, it appears it's stitched to skin below the vagina? Is this normal? (phot

I had a labiaplasty done a week ago. It doesn't hurt near as bad anymore.

Worried about the swelling of my clit. It's huge! Also, it appears it's stitched to skin below the vagina? Is this normal?

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns after labiaplasty. Swelling post operatively is a normal occurrence and can last for a few weeks. It is important to not manually manipulate the area and to allow the incisions and labia time to heal. Icing and warm water baths may provide relief in the initial post op period. If you are specifically concerned about the clitoral area I would recommend following up with your surgeon as soon as possible so that they can address any potential issues and make recommendations on how to proceed. Swelling will resolve with time and occasionally may require some medication so pay attention to any special instructions provided to you by your doctor. It is impossible to appreciate the outcome of labiaplasty so soon after surgery, so allow time for your body to heal and then after a few months if there are still concerns you can discuss them with your surgeon.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Due to the thin nature of the tissues in this region swelling can be significant and lead to distortion of your long-term results. At a week from surgery I would recommend allowing your results more time to mature as the swelling should resolve quickly.  Hang in there and maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure appropriate recovery.  Best wishes.

Swelling after labiaplasty

Swelling after labiaplasty can be frightening to see because it distorts the tissues. Your surgeon can explain how the stitching was done and discuss any other concerns.

Much of the swelling will be gone after the first couple of months, but it may take up to six months for all the swelling to resolve.

If you're interested in reading a patient's journal about her labiaplasty, click on the link below.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Clitoral swelling 1 week after labiaplasty

The photo doesn't reveal enough to assess the healing. However, swelling is normal in the first week and usually subsides quickly. 

First week recovery question

I don't see any problem from your photo. Keep your hands off it!! This is a question to ask your surgeon (you know, the one you paid!) Surgical fees include 24/7 follow-up for at least 1-23 months...

Regards,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA