Will I have to have another surgery? (Photo)

I had a ba last year and went in again for developing scar tissue inside my inscision on my right breast. Should I have another surgery to make my implant drop some more, or is that how my breast is shaped?

Asy

the asymmetry is mild and you have a good result overall - I would leave things alone and things will also likely settle some more

Treatment of capsular contracture creating breast asymmetry.

Without preop photographs it's difficult to assess your asymmetry but the most likely is capsular contracture on the left side. I offer close capsulotomy to selected patients in my practice to avoid further surgery. There are some medications that have some testimonial benefit that are discussed with the patient.

Potential for Revision

Revision of #breast implant and lift #cosmeticsurgery may be needed for: asymmetry, continued ptosis, implant malposition as well as all of the other reasons needed for breast implant revision surgery. At times the #mastopexy will need to be changed from a periareola to a lollipop lift to get a more powerful lift.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions. Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

Breast implant drop vs scar tissue

Am so sorry that you are having these issues with your breast. It looks like capsular contracture or implant malposition. However, it may also be related to your anatomy. Its better to compare before and after photos. The best person to help is your plastic surgeon surgeon. Good luck.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Tough one.

In you photo with your arms raised one breast is clearly higher. This may be due to capsular contracture resulting in implant malppsition, or, if both breasts are equally soft, it might simply be malposition.

Please consult with your surgeon but in our practice if we see a patient similar to you we recommend a medication for three months which has been shown to help soften a breast, in combination with a bandeau and breast massage. If conservative measures fail and you remain unhappy, the decision to have revision surgery is entirely dependent on your degree of dissatisfaction. If you feel this is not something you care to live with please discuss this with your surgeon. If you have doubts are second thoughts, seek a second opinion from another experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Unfortunately without a photograph from before surgery it is difficult to make a definite recommendation as there is some asymmetry in your breasts. I would voice your concerns to your surgeon and review your preoperative pictures and operative plan to see how your results can be maximized.