Septorhinoplasty Surgery. Why is there a crack (open/cut in cartilage) running vertically down my nose?

I had Septorhinoplasty surgery 3 years ago to help me breath. A year after the surgery i still couldn't breath and noticed (since the swell gone down) that there was a "crack" running down my nose. When I touch my nose i feel like there is a cut/crack in the nose cartilage or bone were the bridge is. The cut/crack is creating a gap of about 3 cm, and it about 3/4 of an inch long. You can see a curvy line running down my nose. This doesn't seem normal. What would be causing this?

Dorsal crack

your description is typical for an open roof. By that I mean the nasal bones are separated after removal of the hump. This can certainly be corrected by closing the gap or sometimes grafting on top if too much height was sacrificed

Lack of Functional and Cosmetic Improvement after Rhinoplasty Surgery

I'm sorry that you have not had improvement in breathing after your nasal surgery. An examination will be necessary to determine the cause. The "crack" may be secondary to what we call an open roof deformity secondary to a separation of the nasal bones after an osteotomy to reposition those bones. Pictures of your nose would be helpful. In most cases those problems can be corrected by an experienced revision specialist.

Rhinoplasty: line or gap running down the bridge

Rhinoplasty is one of the most complex surgeries because the outcome is not immediate. It takes months for swelling to go down and the nose continues to refine years after the surgery. After the swelling goes down, the structures underneath may become visible. Patients with thinner skin are more prone to visibility. When a hump on the nose is removed, the space between the nasal bones and cartilage can create an "open roof." This can be addressed with other surgical techniques during the rhinoplasty to close the space and create a smooth contour. Cartilage grafts in this area can also become visible over time. Revision surgery is the best way to safely address visibility on the bridge. I would close any gaps and address any raised edges to create a smooth contour. I would also put a layer of soft tissue on the bridge to thicken that skin to decrease the chance of future visibility. I would consult with a revision rhinoplasty surgeon who can present treatment options safe for you. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear ty.statonA widened dorsum (bridge) can be from an open roof deformity or from spreader graft that were placed at the time of your rhinoplasty.  The cause of "crack" and approach to correct it can usually be determined by physical examination. In a minority of cases, injection with a filler can alleviate the need for revision surgery but that can be temporary. A formal revision rhinoplasty can often restore your nasal shape and maintain your ability to breath through your nose.
Look for an experienced and properly trained plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. See more than one consultation and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty deformity

Hi there ty.stanton. Since you did not send your pictures it is difficult to say about the reason of your complaint. The cause of the problem should be answered after face to face consultation. The treatment of the problem is a more important issue for you. First be seen by your primary surgeon because she/he knows better than anybody about your nose's anatomic condition. I thing you will need a revision or secondary rhinoplasty operation. Good luck.

Ege Ozgentas, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon