How much weight can I lose after Tummy Tuck?

I would like to know how much weight I can lose after a tummy tuck I had over a year ago without getting excess skin again? Thank you.

Weight loss after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. It is possible to loose weight after a tummy tuck but as with your concerns your skin can become looser after more weight loss. The is no way to determine how much someone can loose without getting more laxity. But I would say weight loss typically is always good for the body so what might be best is to go ahead an start loosing what ever you would like and if you get to the point of the skin seeming looser than you would like then either stop at that point from loosing more weight or consider tweeting the tummy tuck to make it tight again. Best of luck.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately there is no standard answer to your question as much will depend on the quality of your abdominal skin.  The thicker the skin and the less the stretch marks the greater ability to contract.  Typically patients can fluctuate about 10% with little development of excess tissue.  Hope this helps.

It Depends On Where You Are Starting

A tummy tuck is very tightening.  So much so that patients have to sleep in a recliner position and walk flexed over for a few days to a week.  When I see a patient for their initial tummy tuck consult, sometimes I will recommend they loose some weight before I will do the operation because I can see that it will help their result and the technical aspects of doing the procedure.  I then tell them that if they loose some more after the operation it will only improve things.

So, as a total guess in your case, based I what I tell some of my patients, I would say that a 10 to 20 pound weight loss after tummy tuck will generally not allow the skin to be loose.  But everything depends on your examination pre-op.

Thanks,

Gordon Telepun, MD

Decatur, Alabama

Weight loss

Its different for every person how much they can lose without getting extra skin.  Any time anyone loses weight, the skin will be more empty.  Some skin retracts and some does not.  I would say lose all the weight you want, as long as it's healthy.  You can always get a little extra skin removed. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon