Will I ever heal? What is the best form of action for healing? (Photo)

Had brachioplasty May 2, 2016. I'm nearly three weeks out and my arm just keeps opening. I've been to a wound care center they are treating me with silva packing my wounds with it. After the first day my wound looks even deeper.I'm wondering if I am ever going to get better. I just finished my antibiotics and I go back to the doctor in 3 days.

Signs and Symptoms of a Wound Infection?

Please take care of your wound to avoid sepsis/ (infection) and visit the doctor for wound cleanings as often as necessary. It will heal but it can take up to 3 months an you may have a scar for up to a year or so . Be patient and take  all necessary measurements  avoid  an infection of the wound. At any signs  plese contact your doctors office right away . 

What Are the Signs and Symptoms of a Wound Infection?
  • Increasing redness around the wound
  • Warm or red skin
  • A red streak spreading from the wound
  • An increase in wound drainage
  • Pus or cloudy fluid draining from the wound
  • A foul odor or abnormal smell
  • Fever or chills
  • Increased pain
  • Tenderness at or in the area of the infected bone
  • Increased swelling around the wound
  • The wound gets bigger
  • The wound has blisters, black or brown dead tissue
  • Increased weakness
  • A wound that won't heal

Healing After Brachioplasty in Melbourne, Florida

The good news about wound healing issues is with proper care they do tend to resolve with time. Follow your instructions and wound care program very closely and keep in touch with your plastic surgeon’s office frequently. Unfortunately, no surgeon can speed up healing; however, the good news is that your board-certified plastic surgeon and their staff can get you through this time so that it will heal on its own with time. I hope this information is helpful to you. Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

When will this heal

Hello and thank you for your question. Sorry for your problem.  You had frank necrosis  (tissue death) which looks much better after debridement. Try keeping your arms elevated as much as possible.  Follow up repeatedly with wound care and your ps. Honestly these wounds take 6 to 12 weeks to heal. However they will heal as long as you follow your wound care instructions. 
Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Will I ever heal? What is the best form of action for healing?

Unfortunately your wound has opened, how is your other arm? This could be due to many different reasons. I would encourage proper wound care with dressings. It will heal but may take some weeks. Thanks for the photo's and good luck.

Richard Hanson, MB, MCh
Dublin Plastic Surgeon

Will My Brachioplasty Wound Ever Heal?

The very short answer is YES.

Obviously, good wound care is necessary to heal any wound.  Visiting your wound care center and being on antibiotics keeping the bacterial count down are all essential elements in getting a wound to heal. 

Seeing your personal plastic surgeon, of course, gives you the best chance of therapy and, ultimately, wound healing.  The normal wound healing process comes in two basic elements.  First, once the bacterial count is down, wounds tend to contract, i.e. get smaller.  Second, at some point, scar tissue will cover the wound and protect you from recurrent bacterial contamination.

If you were my patient and once the bacteria culture is negative, and/or once granulation tissue covers the entire open area, I would go down to your elbow and liposuction the posterior or lower part of your upper arm.  This would take the tension off the suture line allowing the two wound edges to come together easier and get your wound to a point where the open area could conceivably be excised or at least treated much more effectively. 

I am sure your plastic surgeon has his or her own paradigm for dealing with this sort of problem.  All plastic surgeons who do enough brachioplasties will have a tension point and some wound dehiscence.  We have all learned from these unfortunate episodes the most efficacious technique for wound healing. 

Wound Healing

You seem on the right tract with the debridement and wound care center. Ask your surgeon for wound vac treatment