Will I need help for a few days after abdominoplasty?

My husband will behome at night but wasn't sure if I would need help during the day.

Tummy tuck

I would consult with your surgeon on their aftercare protocol but most require your to have somebody to supervise you around the clock for the first 24 hours. You will be experiencing some discomfort and restriction on your daily activities so it would be ideal to have someone there to assist you especially if a complication arises and you need to see your doctor immediately. I would recommend having a family member or friend come over during the day to at least check on you while your husband is at work for the first few days. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Help after tummy tuck

Yes, you will need help for 2-4 days following your abdominoplasty. You will be quite sore and will most likely be on pain medication. You will need help with your daily activities, child care, meal prep, etc.

Good luck! 

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Will I need help for a few days after abdominoplasty

It is definitely recommended for you to have someone with you following  tummy tuck procedure at least fort he first day or two. There is going to be more discomfort with a full tummy tuck involving muscle repair, and you would be much more comfortable having someone assist you when getting up and moving about. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Assistance following tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  I recommend that my patients have someone to assist them for 2-4 days following a tummy tuck.  The muscle tightening part of the procedure causes quite a bit of discomfort and a tight feeling that can limit your initial activity.  Most patients are back to their normal daily routine - taking kids to school, returning to work, etc - sometime between one and two weeks.  Hope this helps.

Help after TT

I would definitely have a care person around for a few days following a full TT. You would most likely be on pain medicine and need assistance going to the restroom and getting meals etc. Best of luck

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Care After a Tummy Tuck

You should check with your surgeon  on this. For my patients they must have someone for the first 24 hours, you will need help in and out of bed and you may be woozy from the anesthesia, falling could be a risk. If possible, to have help for a couple of days to help with food preparation, drains will need to be emptied twice a day or more and having someone remind you to take your medications. If you have young children at home, you will need help. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Help at home

It all depends on how you recover and the technique performed. It is always best to have someone around for the first few days after surgery. Personally I mobilise patients immediately after surgery and patients are walking around at discharge. Presuming you are able to mobilise you may well be OK.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Needing Help after Tummy Tuck

Within a few hours following surgery, abdominoplasty patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position. Strenuous activity and lifting of more than 10 pounds should be avoided for six weeks after surgery. Most patients are able to return to work and daily activities within two weeks of surgery.

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

I would say that the only reason you would need someone home with you after surgery would be if you are at all worried about being able to care for yourself. But you should be able to be up and walking around within hours of surgery and back to work in less than two weeks. This will be best answered with your specifically chosen surgeon in consultation to make sure that the procedure that will be completed will leave you capable of basic activity for the first few days.

Most people need help for a couple of days

We've all had patients who sailed through surgery and really needed no help, but it is wise to have someone around for the first couple of days to make sure you are safe.  If your husband needs to get back to work, find a friend, relative or neighbor that can at least check in on you every few hours in case you need help.  Or, schedule surgery on a Friday if your husband doesn't work on the weekend so that he can help.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Recovery

It is best to discuss the management of your recovery with your surgeon. There are a variety of techniques that might be utilized so the extent of the procedure may dictate what measures to take after your surgery.

Bryan G. Forley, MD