What works better for upper eyelid hollows? Fat grafts or fat injections?

If I'm not mistaken fat grafting is a surgical procedure while fat injection isn't. Which one is more suitable for the upper eyelid area when it appears hollowness?

Doctor Answers 5

Structural Fat Grafting Upper Eyelids - Look at Many Photos

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Structural Fat grafting can restore a youthful fullness to the upper eyelid area. Look at many, many photos to ensure the plastic surgeon you select has considerable experience with fat grafting to the upper eyelid area.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 123 reviews

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There is no difference between fat transfer and fat injections. Fillers and fat can both be used for eye hollows. I suggest consulting an expert, this is a very meticulous and skilled procedure. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Upper eyelid hollow

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fat grafting and fast injection are the same thing. This might help with upper eyelid hollowing but has to be done very carefully. 

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Fat Grafts or Fat Injections for Upper Eyelid Hallows

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fat grafts and fat injections are the same thing. Find an experienced injector because this is a technically difficult procedure. Fillers such as Restylane can also be used.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Upper lid hollow

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fat injections are fat grafts.  While there is no cutting done, it is considered a surgical procedure.  Liposuction is done to harvest the fat and it is then injected into the upper sulcus.  This is a difficult procedure as it can result in asymmetries.  Make sure you go to someone who has experience doing this.  
Another option is to put some HA filler here.  No harvesting necessary, and if you don't like it you can dissolve it. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.