Which treatments would be best for me?

I'm 55 and have a lot of age spots, medium wrinkles, broken blood vessels around my nose and hair on my upper lip and chin. The lasers my Dr. has to choose from are, Excel V, IPL and Pearl fractional. Which ones would address more issues at once to keep costs down?

Kare Brightening Kit with Melarase creams for age spots

A longterm solution should include the Kare Brightening Kit with Melarase creams, Clear and Brilliant laser, and IPL Limelight for maintenance. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Laser options

Thank you for your question. If your main concern is addressing the most problems for the least amount of cost and treatments then the photofacial would be for you. It will fade the brown/age spots and can reduce the look of the broken capillaries. Fraxel would be the best option for the fine lines. Good luck!

Laser options

Best treatment for age spots and wrinkles

Before you'd be a candidate for a laser treatment, you would have to have a full medical history and examination of your skin. It is important to understand the quality and pigmentary tendencies of your skin for recommending a laser. Generally speaking, the more aggressive the laser the more dramatic the results. Different lasers are good at treating different types of skin conditions. For example the laser that would treat these fine lines and age spots would not be good at treating the excess hair.

With that being said, I would imagine the 55-year-old the lives in Alabama will have some sun damage, fine lines, and pigmentary issues.  I think you should consider a laser resurfacing procedure that would significantly improve the previously mentioned skin issues.  With the above-mentioned options I would combine the IPL with the Pearl fractional.

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Fraxel

Treatment Options

Your physician would be able to answer your question in terms of his preferences. However, I would normally use a combination of BBL (a type of IPL from Sciton) and Halo Laser or Erbium Laser depending on the severity of the wrinkles.

Treatment Options

Treatment for multiple concerns

You may want to try a combination treatment of IPL and fractional laser.  IPL can address the pigmented lesions, broken blood vessels and permanent hair reduction (as long as the hair is not gray or very light blond).  The fractional laser can reduce the lines and wrinkles as well as rejuvenate the skin by promoting collagen production.  These treatments would require little to no down time.

Treatment for multiple concerns

Treatment of facial age spots, medium wrinkles and broken blood vessels

All three of your skin problems are very common.  I would use BBL (a brand of IPL) to treat the age spots and the small blood vessels around your nose.  Treating the medium wrinkles depends on your down time or the amount of time you have off work.  If you have a couple of weeks then I would recommend a deep resurfacing with an Erbium laser, but if you only have a few days or a week then I would lean toward the fractional treatment.

Jeremy Drew Sanderson, MD
Flower Mound Plastic Surgeon

Jeremy Drew Sanderson, MD
Flower Mound Plastic Surgeon

Combining modalities may be ideal

Resurfacing lasers, such as fractionated CO2 lasers, will address wrinkling and some brown dyscolorations, but broken blood vessels may need to be cleaned up with a KTP or V-beam laser.  Excel V is ideal for blood vessels.  IPL can offer brown discoloration improvement and Pearl may be able to address some tightening.

Combining modalities may be ideal

Photos? Resurfacing?

Without photos it is difficult to commit what will be best, resurfacing maybe an option, depending on your downtime. 

Video below for more information on lasers. 

Dr Davin Lim 

Photos? Resurfacing?

Dr Davin Lim 

Factional lasers

I would opt for a resurfacing treatment, such as a fractional laser, which can address all 3 problems you listed to some extent. IPL is better for sun spots, but will not address wrinkles. Depending on the size of blood vessels on your nose, you may need s touch up with the excel V laser to "spot" treat that area.
lasers often work best in combination, so keep that in mind! Good luck.
Dr. Vanden Bosch 

Factional lasers

Dr. Vanden Bosch