Which treatments would be best for me?

I'm 55 and have a lot of age spots, medium wrinkles, broken blood vessels around my nose and hair on my upper lip and chin. The lasers my Dr. has to choose from are, Excel V, IPL and Pearl fractional. Which ones would address more issues at once to keep costs down?

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Treatment Options

Your physician would be able to answer your question in terms of his preferences. However, I would normally use a combination of BBL (a type of IPL from Sciton) and Halo Laser or Erbium Laser depending on the severity of the wrinkles.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Treatment for multiple concerns

You may want to try a combination treatment of IPL and fractional laser.  IPL can address the pigmented lesions, broken blood vessels and permanent hair reduction (as long as the hair is not gray or very light blond).  The fractional laser can reduce the lines and wrinkles as well as rejuvenate the skin by promoting collagen production.  These treatments would require little to no down time.

Ramon Peleaux, DDS, MD
Charlotte Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Treatment of facial age spots, medium wrinkles and broken blood vessels

All three of your skin problems are very common.  I would use BBL (a brand of IPL) to treat the age spots and the small blood vessels around your nose.  Treating the medium wrinkles depends on your down time or the amount of time you have off work.  If you have a couple of weeks then I would recommend a deep resurfacing with an Erbium laser, but if you only have a few days or a week then I would lean toward the fractional treatment.

Combining modalities may be ideal

Resurfacing lasers, such as fractionated CO2 lasers, will address wrinkling and some brown dyscolorations, but broken blood vessels may need to be cleaned up with a KTP or V-beam laser.  Excel V is ideal for blood vessels.  IPL can offer brown discoloration improvement and Pearl may be able to address some tightening.

Michael Howard Swann, MD
Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Photos? Resurfacing?

Without photos it is difficult to commit what will be best, resurfacing maybe an option, depending on your downtime. 

Video below for more information on lasers. 

Dr Davin Lim 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Factional lasers

I would opt for a resurfacing treatment, such as a fractional laser, which can address all 3 problems you listed to some extent. IPL is better for sun spots, but will not address wrinkles. Depending on the size of blood vessels on your nose, you may need s touch up with the excel V laser to "spot" treat that area.
lasers often work best in combination, so keep that in mind! Good luck.
Dr. Vanden Bosch 

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Which one of the Doctor's lasers is best for you?

I would vote for the Fraxel, especially if the doctor agrees with me! Take his or her advice!

!
BE WELL,

Dr Beverly Johnson

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon