Question about rice test and real implants.

I am getting silicone implants. Initial thoughts 480-500cc. I tried in the inserts with their sports bra and it looked like I could go up to 550 and be comfortable. Went home and tried the rice test using different sizes. 575 in a regular bra and I feel they are too big for my frame. I'm using 525 now with regular bra and thing they might be just a little too big. Tried on 525 with sports bra and they are great. So my question is: is the rice test closer to the real thing with sports bra or regular bra.

Rice test to size implants.

In my office we use a thin bra and tight tee shirt for a trial of breast implant sizers.  I think a thin regular bra is better than a jogging bra.

The implant volumes you mention seem large.  Be sure to consider the following equations of balance:

Top to bottom (shoulders, bust line, waist, hips;

Left to right;

Skin vs. volume for each breast;

Implant diameter, height and projection vs. breast dimension.

Consult with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has experience with all the different implant varieties. See the video link below for more information.

Rice test to size implants.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Left to right;

Skin vs. volume for each breast;

Rice test

Thanks for your question.  If you are trying to get a sense of your size after augmentation, regardless of the bra you use it should be unpadded.

Rice test

There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient.  Generally speaking, although useful as rough guidelines and as communication tools, all the modalities currently used to predict what breast implant size/profile will best achieve a patient's goals with breast augmentation are NOT very accurate, in my opinion. The use of the rice test, sizers placed beneath a patient's bra, goal pictures, computer imaging technology… are all useful, but not necessarily as accurate as one would hope.

In my opinion, nothing will replace careful verbal and visual aid assisted preoperative communication with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror along with the use of as many "communication" tools” listed above.

In my practice, I use all of the above modalities and then use intraoperative temporary sizers to help determine the best breast implant size/profile to achieve a patient's specific goals as closely as possible. For this reason, I think it is helpful to have the entire range of breast implant sizes/profiles available in the operating room.

Achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding to the operating room is also an important part of the preoperative communication process. Patients should be aware that the results of their breast augmentation will not necessarily match exactly what they are visualizing with anyone of the above-mentioned communication tools.

Given your questions and concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon. This additional time spent will be helpful in the communication process and in alleviating some of your anxiety.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or  "D or DD cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Each of us plastic surgeons has a different approach to planning breast augmentation.  My preference is to avoid bra stuffing since you can theoretically place any volume on top of your breasts but what effect will that same volume have inside of your breasts?  It becomes difficult to know.

So, I ask patients to describe for me what their realistic goals and contour goals are through the use of photos and then allow me to choose the best matched implant for them at the time of surgery based on the actual results of placement of different sizers or test implants.  

I feel that it is very important to have your surgeon take responsibility for the final implant selection based on your goals, goal photos, and the actual appearance of your breasts during surgery when the "sizers" or test implants are positioned with you asleep but in a semi-upright position.  I believe that seeing the actual results using different volumes gives me important aesthetic flexibility and accuracy in matching my patients' goals rather than placing the burden of decision on them based on stuffing a bra, etc....

In the end, you're likely to get a good result as long as you make a wise selection of plastic surgeon. Hopefully you've done your homework carefully. Enjoy the video above for helpful information.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Is the rice test closer to the real thing.

The rice test is an approximation of the volume range that might be needed,and is an important step to help you sort out the best look from your procedure. Which bra to use? We suggest the one you wear most often. You can purchase a bra you wish to fill out and wear, pad it out, and try clothing etc. Let your surgeon see the ideal you, and he can choose the best implant to get your there.

Bra Sizing

Thanks for the great question! Some colleagues of mine just published an article in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal on this exact topic! I added the link below. Basically what their study found was that by using rice or implants in your bra it overestimates the breast volume and upper pole volume while underestimating the lower pole volume. The bottom line is that stuffing an insert or rice into your bra does not give you a great idea of what size your breasts will actually be. If there is someone in your area with 3D imaging, they will be able to take a photo of you then give you a more realistic idea of what each size implant will look like after surgery. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Bra Sizing

~Dr. Sieber

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Rice test is a poor test

All the rice test can do is estimate volume. The implants come in various profile styles designed to make very different looks. The rice test can't simulate those so it is a poor way to select implants. You AND your plastic surgeon together should make the final choice after much discussion about the look you want and the size you are hoping to achieve.

Rice test is a poor test

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  The rice test can be useful but is not perfect for determining the best size for your implants.  I always recommend also using an unpadded bra when performing the rice test.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Implant selection

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  As sports bras tend to compress a woman's breasts, causing limiting their projection, but making them appear wider, I would favor the appearance of your sizers in a regular bra.  Hope this helps.