What is the likelihood that my incision scar will remain light?

I am 1 month post-op. I had breast reduction surgery on 9/15/16. Since then, I have worn micropore tape on my incisions (anchor). I removed my tape this morning to change it, and I noticed how light and thin my scars are in comparison to some photos I've seen. I am pleased by this however, will they remain this light in color? Is there a chance that they could darken, or does hyperpigmentation not occur in all instances.

Chances of darkening of initial light scars in breast reduction

Hello and many thanks for your question.

A month postoperatively is very early in your progress there is yet much  time to go before you reach resolution of the healing process and maturation of the scarring. 

I have to say it is not always easy to predict how individual patient's scar will behave in the long run but in most people the scars do eventually fade and become pale in the long run. Some patient's scars remain the same but for a number of patients the scars may thicken up over the next few months; if so use tape or pressure; I note that you are using Micropore tape already and you should carry on with that for several months if your skin will tolerate it.

One thing you must be very careful about (and Micropore tape is exactly right in this regard) is in relation to getting the wounds / scars exposed to sunlight sufficient to cause a tan as then the scars will tend to darken preferentially compared to the surrounding skin and once they are brown they can stay brown for a year or 18 months before fading.

I hope that you found this information helpful.

my very best wishes

London Plastic Surgeon

Will my incisions become darker?

Thank you for your question. One thing you should know, is that every person and every incision heals differently. Your breast reduction #incisions can even heal differently on each of your breasts. To increase your chances of proper healing, you should be following ALL of your #post-operative instructions. 

You are very fortunate to have incisions that appear light! This is usually not the typically question we get. Most women ask about their incisions and if they will fade. It sounds like everything is going in the right direction. Keep up the good work!