Is corrective tummy tuck & lipo on my body possible since I've had back surgery?

During my 1st back surgery, a surgical hernia occurred. When the vascular surgeon cut my anterior wound to correct the hernia, he did an unauthorized tummy tuck. Instead of using the scar the orthopedic surgeon made, he pulled my skin horizontally & removed most of my belly button & what remains is shaped as a half-moon & about 1-2 inches off-center. Do to 3 more back surgeries & 2 hernia repairs, I cry at my body! My insurance won't pay & I can't afford surgery. Can I be helped or just hide?

Hi, thank you for your question. I'm so sorry for all you have been through. I suggest you contact a board certified plastic surgeon to undergo an #evaluation. Then you will know what can be done to help you meet some of your needs. Normally #TT's can be done folwoing back surgery, but a face to face evaluation by a #BCPS will be able to recommend what is best. Best wishes to you!

TT and lipo

with all your surgery and scarring, the TT and lipo will give you some improvement. you could go to a local university plastic surgery training center and probably get a marked reduction in fees to have the training residents operate on you.

Previous back surgery is not a contraindication to an abdominoplasty.

Previous back surgery and the subsequent chronic discomfort certainly can be debilitating. This is not a contraindication to an abdominoplasty in special care will be taken when position you on the operating table. Some patients claim that back pain is improved by the corset effect on the abdominal wall by this procedure.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your multiple back surgeries.  Without a full series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to make treatment recommendations as much will depend on the type of location of incision placement used during your prior surgeries. I would recommend you see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. They will best be able to offer you advice on how to improve upon your current results. 

Assymetrical scar post tummy

This is a tough question.Since insureance won't pay and they are paying for less and less one option would be to go to the medical school in yoiur state and maybe they have a resident's clinic and one of the residents in plastic surgey can do this under the supervision of an attending.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Revision tummy tuck

Many tummy tucks incorporate as part of the plan a revision of a previous procedure. Many tummy tucks correct scars that were caused by a C-section. Under average circumstances all of the skin below the belly button is excised and the belly button is jevuvinated. I would recommend you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and opinion. 

Take care

Badar Jan, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon