Chin implant or sliding genioplasty? (photos)

I am trying to decide which option would be best for me. I have an open bite and while I wore braces in the past that straightened my teeth they have since moved out of place again. I also have problems with clicking and pain in my TMJ and wonder if that issue could be helped/hindered by either procedure. I really want to look more proportional but not at the expense of worse function. Thank you.

Chin Augmentation

You clearly have a malocclusion, a very short chin and TMJ dysfunction so lower jaw advancement surgery would really be best for you. But short of orthognathic surgery you should have a sliding genioplasty and not an implant for your him augmentation.

Chin implant or sliding genioplasty?

Hi, neither one will affect your bite.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.

Chin implant versus sliding genioplasty

A sliding genioplasty is performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia in a hospital setting with an overnight stay at the hospital. A sliding genioplasty is usually performed when the teeth are significantly out of alignment. A chin implant is performed under local anesthesia which takes approximately 30 minutes. Chin implants are manufactured in large variety of sizes and shapes are placed through a small incision underneath the chin. In our practice, we have been using Implantech brand of silastic chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information, many examples of chin implants, and diagrams of the implants themselves, please see the link and the video below

Your growth pattern with the open bite indicates that only a sliding genioplasty would alter the 3D view of the chin. You typically need to 'shorten' the chin somewhat; and avoid the 'pressure' on the chin from an implant as you try to put the lips together. Talk to a Cosmetic Maxillofacial surgeon about it

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon