16 days post-op breast augmentation question. Can anyone help? Its uncomfortable at night

5'2 120 lbs 450 ccnatrelleinspiraSRF. I had BA 16 days ago& for the past 5 or 6 days my right breast has been painful,especially on waking.I notice it most when I am laying flat &then sit up or if I am at an incline for a period of time &then sit up.My left breast feels fine.During the day the pain comes and goes but isn't as bad.Its like a sharp pain that's almost in a line shooting toward my nipple & if I touch it while its aching, it hurts like crazy.

Discomfort after Breast Augmentation

It is not uncommon to have the symptoms you are reporting, especially now that you are probably becoming more active.  The nerves and other tissues are getting used to their new position.  Why one side hurts more than the other is anybody's guess.  I would continue to follow closely with your doctor and follow their recommendations.  If there is anything concerning to you, I would contact them to discuss the issue.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Post Breast Augmentation Surgery

Thank you for your inquiry. After Breast augmentation surgery your breasts may heal differently. One may be more sensitive to touch or even swell more than the other. This is a normal occurence and should be no cause for concern or worry. Be sure you attend all your follow up appointments and express your pain to your surgeon so he or she can assure you all is well and normal. Best of Luck,

16 days post-op breast augmentation question. Can anyone help?

Thank you for your question. When performing a Breast Augmentation, even though we do the same procedure on each side, each side will heal different. Sometimes one side will swell up more, will have pain or sensitivity issues. These issues will usually resolve with time. I would suggest to keep in touch with your surgeon to address your concerns. Good Luck.

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Frustrating

It is frustrating that we can't immediately go back to normal right after surgery.  But it does take time.  It is very common that one side will bother more than the other side.  As others have said, it is most likely a nerve that is irritated.  It is common to get "sharp, shooting" pains as the nerves try to recover from the misery we have put them through.  Patience and time are your best friends.  Good luck.  I hope you are otherwise enjoying your results.

James D. Frost, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

16 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question
Its too early to talk about results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your pain.  After an augmentation the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the increased volume of the implants. This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different nipple and breast skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling. These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time.  Hang in there and be sure to mention these issues to your surgeon during your post-operative appointments.

Breas

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

16 days post-op breast augmentation

Congratulations on your Augmentation. you are still early in your recovery and these sharp pains that come and go are quite normal. Everyone recovers at a different pace and your recovery will be fine. Many times with augmentation a nerve can be bruised and takes longer to heal. I wish you well

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. What you are describing may be irritation of a nerve. This usually settles down with time. I would suggest you speak to your plastic surgeon to make sure he has no additional concerns. 

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician