Do I have to wait be 160 lbs before I get my tummy tuck, even if I plateau at 179-174? (Photo)

So I am 5 1 an I weight 180 pounds I have three kids an don't plan on having more for the past three years I have been trying to lose weight an tighten my stomach an it's just not happening . I been wanting a tummy tuck but I've try to do it without the surgery but it's not helping . Now my goal weight is 150-160 ... But I plateau at 179 174 for about a year now ... I eat clean an excercise am I able to still get a tummy tuck or do I have to wait until an hope I can get to the 160 mark?

Continued weight loss is a good idea, but not mandatory.

hello. Continued weight loss is a good idea, but not mandatory.  With more weight loss, your doctor can actually give you a better result. If you cannot lose wt. then you can move forward, but keep in  mind the result will be less "wow." I would advise you to really kick it up a notch with your diet control!

Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Do you have to wait to be 160 pounds?

Far more important than deciding if TT is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Pre TT Weight

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. You are ok to have your TT at your plateaued weight as long as your BMI is 30 or less. Your risk for problems decreases at this number. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Do I have to wait until i reach 160 pounds in order to have my tummy tuck procedure?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your struggles with weight loss.  Because a tummy tuck is an elective surgery it is best to minimize all controllable risks and maximize your anticipated results. As a result I would advocate continued weight loss through diet and exercise until you reach your goal weight. If you have plateaued try enlisting the assistance of both a nutritionalist and personal trainer.  They can help you address and identify sources of improvement while maintaining you accountable.  Hope this helps

Tummy tuck

If your BMI is very high, many surgeons would recommend that you lose weight. A higher BMI can increase your risks of complications.

BMI

Hello and thanks. Safe and effective surgery is best performed in patients with a BMI of 29 or lower. Complications increase if your BMI is over 30. 

Be careful. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Do I have to wait be 160 lbs before I get my tummy tuck, even if I plateau at 179-174?

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California.

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

Congratulations on her weight loss.  If you have a tummy tuck now before you achieve your goal weight your plastic surgeon will not be able to adequately tighten the abdominal skin because the fat beneath the skin prevents tightening.  In addition healing is interfered with by excess fat and you would be at greater risk for complications.  I know it is very difficult but in the end you want an attractive result.  That will require you to have a BMI under 30 and that will require that you be close if not had her ideal weight.