Is it possible to get surgery so that eyes sink into one's face?

My eyeballs are big and they stick out of my head. Calling them bug eyes is somewhat of an exaggeration, but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. I also understand that they could be a result of a thyroid problem, such as Grave's disease; however, I have no thyroid problems.

Doctor Answers 2

Treating prominent eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear City Hunter,

      Some people with "bigger" eyes are just made that way, some people can even have tumors behind their eyes, and some people can have Graves Disease and other thyroid conditions that cause their eyes to buldge EVEN if their lab work is normal.  Firstly, I would recommend a full ophthalmic exam by an oculoplastic specialist to make sure there are no underlying causes.  It helps if you bring old pictures of yourself over the last 15-20 years.   

The major surgery to make the eyes go back into your head as you say, is called an orbital decompression surgery to remove bone and fat behind the eye to let the eye rest further back.  However, there are several other options and eyelid procedures that can make the eyes LOOK smaller.  Again, I would recommend a full oculoplastic consult to determine the best and safest options for your particular circumstances!

Good luck!

Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Dealing with the budlging eyes.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Protruding eyes which could be exophthalmos or proptosis would be corrected by either making the eye socket larger, which is a major surgery, or building the tissues around the eyes to make them relatively less prominent, which is much simpler outpatient procedure. You my want to consult one of us who has experience in doing these procedure.

Good Luck.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.