I was incorrect in my last post. I now believe the surgeon I consulted with said he did not perform "unhooding". (Photo)

This surgeon is Board Certified but only had about 3 pics to show me. The photos I did see were of labia minoras that were very enlarged and more severe than my own. The 2 results I saw were impressive. The price he gave me was about $2,000 but I don't if that includes a hoodectomy. I also would like to be aware of the techniques that may be best for me. I would like my labia minora to be tucked in while standing and smoother/smaller. Also wondering about the perineal skin around my "hole".

This is a follow-up to an earlier question. Click here to read it.

Doctor Answers 6

Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your follow-up.  One should choose their cosmetic surgeon based on experience of genital surgery.  As a cosmetic and reconstructive urologist located in the Cleveland, Ohio area with one of our offices in Middleburg Heights, I have met women exposed to similar experiences.  Based on your photos (thank you for sharing them), labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction may improve your condition. A physical examination would be necessary to better access your condition.  The perineal skin is challenging to evaluate based on the photos.
I wish you the best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP                                                                                                                             

Choose your surgeon wisely

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
As I stated before you need to be extremely careful about choosing a surgeon based upon prices, location and just because they are Board Certified.  Board Certification does not mean they were trained to perform clitoral hood reduction, clitoral hood lift , labiaplasty and now perineoplaty (as you revers to the the skin around your "hole").  Choose a surgeon like it is the most important decision of your life.  You really don't want to regret your decision and end up "botched' or butchered.  If you are spending only $2000 you are going to have a hard time to find a quality surgeon.  Also as others have suggested if his / her portfolio of before and after photos consists of 2 photos ---- well please use some common sense and look for a new surgeon.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist  & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Your labiaplasty quote is suspiciously cheap and your board certified doc doesn't sound like a labiaplasty expert

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Board certification in either plastic surgery or gynecology requires zero knowledge of labiaplasty or clitoral hood contouring techniques. It's neither taught in residency programs nor tested in the board certification process so you can delete that item from your checklist immediately. Look for a surgeon who performs labiaplasty on a regular basis, has a portfolio of more than 3 photos, and knows how to manage the clitoral hood. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up to be the next sad botched labiaplasty victim to share you story on the web. $2K might sound like a good deal, but it's less than half of what any true expert charges and it's a huge red flag.

What labiaplasty technique is best for me? Who should do my surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi- As I said before, you need to see a surgeon who is comfortable with handling the clitoral hood, whether it is via a linear resection with separate lateral elliptical excisions to take up the redundant hood tissue that will stick out like a "...little penis.." if all you have done is a linear labiaplasty, or a small "Y": modification of a V-wedge if you end up having a wedge procedure.  "Board Certification" and $5.00 will get you a Starbucks coffee- it means NOTHING when it comes to genital plastic surgery. Gynecologists receive absolutely no specialized training in good genital plastic technique in their "Board Certification" training., 
Bottom line: if your doc is a general Gyn who has not specifically been trained in technique by an expert, and cannot show you SEVERAL instances where (s)he has done hood resection, STAY AWAY. The fee of $2000 is very low; it may be that you "...get what you pay for..." You have an excellent surgeon in Dr. Otto Placik in Chicago, or Drs. Rob Moore or John Miklos in Atlanta (& of coures me on the West Coast...) You may find it better in the long run to see an expert..! Meanwhile, spend some time navigating my website, which has tons of useful information, especially in the Blogs...
Best wishes,
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

I was incorrect in my last post. I now believe the surgeon I consulted with said he did not perform "unhooding". (Photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are different methods used for performing labiaplasties and every surgeon will have their own preference.  All of the areas you are concerned with, including the clitoral hood, labia minora and fourchette, can be addressed by an experienced board certified surgeon, who specializes in labiaplasty procedures.  The cost can vary based on multiple factors, including your location, facility fees and the exact  procedures you are having done.  For more information regarding labiaplasty, please visit our website.

I was incorrect in my last post. I now believe the surgeon I consulted with said he did not perform "unhooding".

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and for following up your original post.  Based on your picture alone I would recommend a wedge labiaplasty to help reduce the overall size of your labia minora combined with a clitoral hood reduction to diminish some of its width.  See a labiaplasty specialist to have the best treatment recommendations made.  

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.