Why do doctors give such different answers?

BA last Tuesday, Natrelle, silicone 421/457. Everything is great. But there are weird little things that I like to know if others are suffering from as well. Like most people, I go online and see what others have to say. I've noticed on this site that doctors have widely different answers to the same questions. ie, when is it OK to sleep on your side, what kind of bra should you wear, should you massage. Why such different answers?

Great question.

In short, medicine is not formulaic, nor is there always one answer; as I tell my patients :"it is not what, but whom," especially plastic surgery.

Medicine will always be part art and part science, and therefore, each individual is different form the next.

Post-op instructions

It's like talking to a chef. each chef makes the chicken soup a bit differently.  Same thing goes for post-op care and instructions.  Good luck.

Breast augmentation questions

Thank you for your question. The simple answer is that there is more than one correct answer and surgeons have different training,preferences, and personal experiences. Good luck.

Hi Tattoogirl1095,

Great question.  All plastic surgeons manage their patients uniquely based upon: (1) training, (2) past patient experiences, (3) scientific knowledge, and (4) the individual patient's desires and anatomy.  The great part of plastic surgery is the ability to combine the science of surgery with the art of medicine, and this is the reason plastic surgery is constantly changing and advancing.  It also demonstrates the myriad of ways to get a great result.  My advice to you is use the same trust that allowed you to choose your surgeon to follow his or her advice in your recovery.  Good luck!

Hunter Moyer, MD

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. It is extremely common to receive different opinions from different plastic surgeons about the best way to proceed after surgery. Each plastic surgeon may have his/her opinion that is based on their specific/unique education, experience, and personal preferences. Their opinions may also be shaped by unfavorable results they have encountered in their practices. It is quite amazing how adamant each plastic surgeon can be about the superiority of his/her recommendations…Therefore, once a patient has selected her plastic surgeon, best to follow his/her advise/instructions, as opposed to those of online consultants. Best wishes.

Speak to your plastic surgeon, we are all different

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, we are simply people with different opinions.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Different Answers

The reason for so many different answers is that none of the answers are wrong or right. All plastic surgeons have come to have their postop instructions based on what their opinions or impressions are of whether or not the instructions would help in the healing process. For instance, some implants it would be counterproductive to massage, and in others depending on the location where placed be it under the muscle or over it may be helpful. When there's not a lot of science to rely on, then everybody has just that an opinion. I wouldn't sweat the fact that there are differences in opinions and plastic surgery that's what makes it an art based on science. Congratulations on your surgery and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Most surgeons have their own opinions about what works best for them.  In many cases it is not just an opinion but specific as to the procedure and perhaps the type of implant.  Instructions for a breast augmentation with textured implants may differ from saline or sub glandular.  Likewise an augmentation with a lift will have different instructions as will a secondary procedure.

I hope you are doing well and continue close follow up with your surgeon as that is the best place to get advice and to have your questions answered.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Answers

Every surgeon has his/her own opinion about post operative care. Much of this care depends upon what type of implant was used and where it was placed--behind muscle or just behind the breast. Some implants are designed to not be massaged. I suggest following your surgeon's instructions to achieve your best results.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

When it comes to certain recommendations in the post operative recovery you will see different opinions because that is just what they are, opinions. For the most part these types of things have never been studied and what one doctor states can be different than another because that was what the doctor who trained them did. There probably is no correct answer because most of them seem to work just fine. We are all creatures of habit. Please understand though when it comes to certain instances related to infections, bleeding, etc., you will find the doctor's answer much more consistent because we are all taught similarly in these situations. Great question.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon