Am I healing right? My procedure was performed by my OBGYN and I'm very nervous because of swelling.

My left side of my labia is healing slower than the right. He labeled it a "bilateral labia reduction" so I don't know if it was the trim or wedge method but it hurts. I can't sleep with my legs closed. I'm not a back sleeper but this is what I've had to do. I ice it and take ibuprofen but the icing only works for so long!! Also I have not pooped since surgery which was August 17, it has been a week. I have an appt with an OBGYN tomorrow.

Am I healing right?

Can you submit a pic so we can help you.Swelling is very common after this procedure and often if narcotics are being taken on a regular basis without a stool softener then constipation occurs.  Please discuss all of these issues with your physician.Best of luck :)

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your current situation. Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend going to your appointment with your gynecologist.  Constipation can occur after surgery depending on the medications used during and after the surgery.  I would also recommend discussing this with your surgeon.  If you wish to be evaluated for a second opinion, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that means traveling.  Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. I definitely understand your concern, but with only one week having passed since surgery you may want to wait a little longer and allow some of the healing to continue. Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well for swelling.Now, if you continue to have concerns or any discomfort you should not hesitate to contact your doctor with any and all questions. A live appointment would be good for evaluation of the area to make sure that healing is progressing properly. Good luck to you!

Am I healing right

Thank you for your question. It is hard to comment without seeing at least picture. I recommend you to go and see your physician for evaluation.

Swelling after labiaplasty

It is common to have swelling in one area more than another after surgery. It is difficult to assess without pictures. You should have an in person exam with your surgeon to ensure there is not an infection in the swollen and tender area. Bilateral just means both sides - right and left. Also talk to your surgeon about post op constipation. Make sure to increase walking and fluid intake. You also need a laxative like MiraLAX or Milk of Magnesia, or something stronger, call your surgeon for their recommendation. 

Sore and constipated after labiaplasty

There's not enough info to offer additional advice on your healing. See your doc. Constipation responds well to increased water intake, fiber, prune juice, stool softeners and laxatives.

Post Labiaplasty Swelling

It can be normal to sometimes have more swelling on one labia than the other.   It is difficult to judge the final result until the swelling resolves which will take a few weeks.  Abnormal conditions that can cause swelling would be a hematoma (collection of blood) or abscess ( infection).  You should return to your surgeon for a post operative evaluation so the surgeon can be sure the area is healing appropriately.   Not having a bowel movement (constipation) can be a result of taking narcotic pain medications.  So if you have been taking narcotics for pain relief , I recommend transitioning at this point to acetaminophen or ibuprofen.   You can use any over-the-counter medications to induce a bowel movement. Miralax is a good option or Magnesium Citrate liquid. Also, eating prunes or drinking prune juice may be effective and as well as caffeine ( a cup of strong coffee).  The best treatment for constipation is actually prevention: hydration (drinking lots of water) and  fiber (either a high fiber diet or supplement with psyllium powder).  Also, a decrease in your activity level after the procedure may have contributed to your situation as well as possibly some spasm in your pelvic floor muscles as a reaction to post-operative pain.   Soaking in a warm tub of water, may help relieve pelvic floor muscle spasm.  In addition to trying to have a bowel movement now, you should prevent further constipation with the above recommendations.Best wishes!

Labiaplasty recovery

Thank you for your question. When electing cosmetic surgery, it is always highly recommended that you have your procedure done by a board certified plastic surgeon. I would give yourself some more time to heal before judging your results. It takes at least 4-6 weeks for swelling to fully go down for the labia to shrink in size. Over this 6 week period, you results will still change slightly and one side may heal quicker than the other. If after six weeks you are still unhappy with your results, I would consult your doctor for a revision or seek a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your healing has caused you concern. Without a full series of photographs, or an in-person examination, it is difficult to offer definite advice but due to the labia's thin tissues it is common to experience soft tissue swelling that can cause discomfort in the first days after surgery.  It would be important, however, to rule out any fluid collection issues such as a hematoma, bruising, or a possible incision separation.  See your surgeon for an in-person examination so that they can provide you with reassurance.