Any suggestions for Brachialplasty Scars?

My brachialplasty scars are still evident , dark and raised after 15 months. I have had numerous keloid injections and have worn silicone for months. What more can I do?

Embrace Active Scar Defense

I am sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty in your healing process. Some patients are more prone to hypertrophic and keloid scarring. It may be beneficial to have a scar revision and use Embrace Active Scar Defense after surgery. Embrace is the only product indicated by the FDA for hypertrophic and keloid scars. Consult your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding his or her recommendations for you. Good luck in your research!

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for an armlift scar

Our office specializes in scar treatments. I would begin with our Hidef Scar Treatment Protocol which includes lasers, injections, and topical therapy to smooth and reduce your scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar revision followed by Embrace scar therapy

I have found that the Embrace dressing after scar revision in areas where there is a lot of tension (such as brachioplasty) can make a huge difference in the quality of the scars.

Thank you for your question.   Sorry to hear you having some difficulties with the scarring process.

At 15 months the scars should be flat and faded.  Lasers can help with hyperpigmentation and texture.  However, if the scars are still thick and raised then I feel a surgical scar revision is your best option.   It will require completely removing the entire scar or the length of scar that is a problem and re-suturing the area.   

Unfortunately it will require a minor surgery and downtime but will be worth it in the end.

Good luck

Thank you for your question.  Depending on the status of the rest of your skin you may be a candidate for a scar revision to help narrow the scars and obtain a nicer cosmetic result.  Alternatively laser treatments can help to remove redness and irregular pigmentation.  Hope this helps.

Treatment of Brachioplasty Scars

Options for scar treatment include laser - CO2 for texture and color, V Beam for readiness, Alexandrite for browns, IPL, Fractionated Radio-frequency Sublative for texture and color, Microneedling for thickness and color, PRP for healing.  It's best to schedule an in-person consultation to review your options.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Brachioplasty scars

Brachioplasty scars can be tough to deal with. In my opinion, they can be the toughest scars to deal with. Best of luck. Lasers may help with the redness.