Gynecomastia or pseudo?

I've put on too much weight in the last two years which I'm trying to reduce. I see results, but my chest seems to pop out. After long thoughts, I decided I'd consult few doctors last week for consultation. One of the consultants in my city last week said the procedure is predominantly they making a 2x3mm incisions (only) and use a needle to gently melt away fat and tissue. But reading more, I'm not sure if the glands can be melted away. Any experienced doctors can share your thoughts on this?

Removing Gynecomastia by Liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are correct, if you have true gynecomastia (fat and breast tissue) the only way to remove it is by a combination of surgical excision and liposuction. If your have pseudogynecomastia, liposuction usually will be enough. Good luck!

Gynecomastia

There is no reliable way to remove the hard gland by "melting" it. That requires cutting or the Scarless method through a tiny armpit incision using a special instrument to shred it and the suction the remains. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia or pseudo?

I would recommend an in person examination. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs many of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia?

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Gynecomastia or pseudo?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate  as uncomfortable as gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. 

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery.

My best suggestion: get to where you want to be through healthy diet/exercise, if you are not already there.  Then, if you remain concerned about the appearance of the chest wall, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

You have to make sure to pick the right surgeon

Excision of the gland is the most importent part of gynecomastia surgery,therefor the right surgeon with experience with this type of surgery is important.Don't compromise  

Mordcai Blau, MD

Types of Gynecomastia

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case.