Is 4 days post op still too early to judge doctor's work/ result?! (photo)

5'2 103lbs, 397cc silicone gel placed under the muscle, mod+. Although i know im still very early to judge the final result, i am not happy with how my breast look right now. Especially with my nipple facing downward. My question is will my breast get fuller on the bottom and that my nipple will move up a little?

Early Appearance After Breast Augmentation

Breast implants placed under the chest muscles commonly take several weeks to gradually settle into position. Before the breast implants there were only ribs under the muscles. Now you have 397 cc implants under the muscles and it takes time for the muscles to relax and allow the implants to move down. I have my patients use implant massage and an elastic chest strap to help the process. If the implants do not appear satisfactory after six months then your surgeon will need to decide if an implant pocket revision or a breast lift might be indicated. Stay in touch with your surgeon who is in the best position to advise you. Good luck!

Draper Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy necessary

Thanks for the picture. The tissues may settle and the implants may look a little better but the nipple position will not change in my opinion . It looks like to achieve balance you will need a breast lift.

In most cases I would say way to early, but in this presented case the high riding implants with deficient inferior pole distances, downward N/A projection will NOT improve. Something was not considered pre operatively. Like release inferior poles or possible lifting operation. Best to discuss with your chosen surgeon for plans after 3 months healing...

When to Access Breast Augmentation Results

It takes 3 months or longer to see your full results after a submuscular implant. 
However, your implants do seem too high even for the early post operative period and I would discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Too early

At only 4 days it is too early to predict what your final result will be.  Typically it takes 3 months for swelling to subside and implants to settle. Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon as directed. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Areola position

Thank you for the photos and your question and though you are obviously very early post op I am concerned about your implant position and would communicate your concerns to your surgeon

Dr Corbin 

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Early Post-op Breast Augmentation Results

From the photos, it does appear that you have a nipple lower on the breast mound. Without pre-op photos, I cannot tell you more. It is very possible that you needed a lift to achieve the results you wanted at the time of the initial surgery. The implants will descend with time, but with the current appearance, it is likely that this will not be enough to get the nipple in its ideal position.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned. Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Is 4 days post op still too early to judge doctor's work/ result?!

4 days is usually too early to judge post-operative results. It usually takes about 3 to 6 months for the implant to settle into their final position. The upper pole of the breast will move down and take a lower position. The placement of an implant will raise the upper pole about 2cm and drop the fold about 2cm. You will need to wait for this process to occur. That said, if you had low nipple position (and ptosis of the breast) you may require a secondary lift if you want the nipple to be more centralized in front of the implant.

David Mathes, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Yes, Much Too Early...

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are  experiencing after breast augmentation surgery. You should be aware that it is not unusual for patients to feel that they are “too small” or “too big”,   early on after breast augmentation surgery.  Most patients who feel this way ultimately are pleased with the results of surgery. Many patients who feel that they are too small immediately after surgery find, as the breast implants “drop and fluff”,  that the  breasts actually appear larger to them. As the breast implants settle, the nipple/areola complexes seem higher on the breast mounds.

If, at all possible, it will be best for you to wait a period of at least 3 to 6 months before making any final decisions about the procedure that has been performed.   This waiting time allows patients to (uaually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.  

From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about.  Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.
Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions ( for example about the results of surgery and/or the need for additional surgery) while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

4 days

It would be helpful to see before photos.  If the nipples were downward pointing before surgery, you would have been well served to have had a lift, although doing one later is acceptable practice. 

The implants will continue to "drop" in the coming months.  The upper pole will be less full, the lower pole more full. But without before pix it is not possible to predict whether any change in nipple/areolar position is likely.