Breast augmentation with dvt?

At 12 weeks pregnant I developed a chronic dvt in my leg. I was on lovenox during my pregnancy & xarelto for a year. Labs showed that I don't have a clotting disorder. My doctor believes that pregnancy was the cause. My physician gave me clearance, now I need clearance from a hematologist. My primary will not refer me, so I have to see a dr out of network where i will have to pay out of pocket. Has anyone had any experience with this and do I still have a chance of having breast augmentation?

Breast augmentation with DVT.

Yes, you should be very careful, and consult with your Hematologist.  If you are free from your DVT, and still on anticoagulants, you need to be off the meds for at least 3 days prior and 3-4 days post augmentation.

Breast Augmentation and DVT

It sounds as though you no longer have a DVT.  So you should be able to have a BA.  Lovenox should be given as a precaution and make sure your PS uses leg compression during surgery.  Afterwards, move your ankles up and down while lying down.  Of course, you should get clearance before undergoing this.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

You can easily find a surgeon

that will not require clearance by a hematologist if you're accepting the use of Lovenox post-op.  The risks for a clotting problem are slim to none as your pregnancy was the most likely cause.  Your clot should be organized by now and should not cause you any major problems.  But you just have to find a surgeon who is willing to go without the hematologist's clearance, which shouldn't be all that difficult.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast augmentation with dvt?

Yes, despite your history, it is most likely that you will be able to proceed with breast augmentation surgery. Obtaining "clearance"  and recommendations from a hematologist is the best way to  proceed. Best wishes.

DVT and Breast Augmentation

The simple answer to your question is yes you can have a breast augmentation and will probably need to be covered after for a short period of time with Lovenox.  So see some experts in your area who are familiar with your problem and get the desired surgery performed
Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast aug with history of DVT?

While you should be able to have the breast augmentation, you should see a hematologist for clearance and pre/post operative recommendations.  While your risks are still very low, most reputable plastic surgeons would not perform this case without a hematologist on board.BTW...if your primary won't refer you, I would get another primary.Best wishes and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Should Be OK

DVT's during pregnancy are not uncommon. They do convey an increased risk for future DVT's, however. For that reason, before you proceed with breast augmentation surgery, you should receive preoperative clearance from a hematologist. They will be able to calculate a risk score indicating your chance of developing a DVT after surgery based on things like your age, body weight, history of any cancer, family history of DVT, etc. If that risk score is above a certain number, you might be advised to use Lovenox or Xarelto after surgery to minimize your chance of developing a P.E. or DVT. The good news is that these medications are well tolerated by patients. Even with them there is minimal risk of developing bleeding after surgery.

Wishing you success!

George Sanders, MD