Aggressive eyelid surgery; Is there a chance that this double fold on my eyelid will relax?

I am 10 months post op an aggressive eyelid surgery. I was left with a skin fold and my eye will not close all the way. I've treated dry eye with Restasis, drops, and ointments. Is there a chance that this double fold on my eyelid will relax? Also, is there a chance my eyelid skin can stretch in the inner corner of my eye so my eyelid will eventually be able to close all the way? Thank you for your thoughts!

Doctor Answers 4

Aggressive eyelid surgery; Is there a chance that this double fold on my eyelid will relax?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best to be examined in person by a specialist in revisional eye lid surgery in your area. Over the internet very hard to advise.

Upper Blepharoplasty Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
At 10 months after surgery, it is not likely that the 'double skin fold' of the upper eyelid surgery will relax on its own nor will skin at this point stretch in the inner corner of the eye. It is impossible, based on this one picture, to judge where the eyelid is most tight and is preventing it from closing all the way. It seems like you have enough skin to allow the eyelid to close but that it is tethered or scarred to the underlying tissues. A release with an interpositional dermal graft may be helpful.

Revision after aggressive eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The terminology in my title refers to the way you posed the question as it is hard for me (or anyone else on this forum) to decide whether your surgery was aggressive without having a whole lot more information. Certainly, I do not think that you will need a skin graft, but revision of your procedure is possible and reasonable. I would recommend seeing someone in the directory of for this intricate surgery.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

You most likely will benefit from revisional surgery to address this.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This type of work requires a specialist. You may need to travel for this type of care. Generally we like to avoid using a skin graft into the shortened upper eyelid. On examination it may be that the eyelid healed tethered to the upper eyelid septum. You need to find an oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in the repair of prior unsatisfactory eyelid surgery.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.