Is Aging Due to Hormonal Imbalance Reversible?

I have aged dramatically in the last 4 or 5 months, I have just turned 21. My skin has lost its glow and Ive lost fullness in my face whilst my hips and thighs have got bigger. I am in the process of finding cause but think this may be due to hormone imbalance, is ageing caused by hormone imbalance potentially reversible? Even completely reversible? or almost completely reversible?

Doctor Answers 4

Aging caused by hormonal imbalance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm glad you are sourcing the causes of your hormonal imbalances. Once those are established, proper medications, vitamins, etc. will help get things back on track for you. It will take time, absolutely, but most of what you've experienced should be able to be fixed, especially since you are very young.

Is Aging Due to Hormonal Imbalance Reversible?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question and sorry that you are noticing some of the things that seem to be going on in your life at such a young age. Perhaps this is related to hormonal changes and this is something that you need to find out. I would strongly recommend that you make an appointment with an internist or a gynecologist and get a thorough and complete evaluation. Then one can determine what your options are and what you need to be doing for yourself.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Could be due to various reasons

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are multiple reasons why you may have some of the problems you listed of which imbalanced hormones may be the cause. I recommend seeing a bioidentical hormone replacement specialist to rule this out.

Best of luck,

Dr. Goldstein

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Hormone Alterations and Aging

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Look around you and see if your sister, mom and aunts had similar changes when they were your age. It would be simple to get a basic profile from your general practitioner - thyroid hormone, etc and or see your GYN for a more practical approach and explanation for body morphologic changes - clinical exam, hormone screening studies, etc. Hratch L Karamanoukian MD FACS

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.