How soon after MM can I start training for a race?

How soon after mommy makeover (TT w/hernia+ MR, BA, lipo flanks+inner thighs) can I start running-- specifically training for a marathon? I'm in pretty good shape and run 20-30 miles/week. Not looking to break any records, just make it across the finish line.

Exercise and Activity After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Vigorous exercise after a mommy makeover

Generally speaking, vigorous exercise can be started 6 weeks after your mommy makeover.  Of course this will vary from person to person, your surgeon will let you know when you can start back on your regimen.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

When to exercise after Mommy Makeover?

You will be able to run many races in the future but you only want to have one mommy makeover.  In our practice we would say 6 weeks to eight weeks , as you are having an extensive makeover.  Check with your surgeon and follow that advice since he/she will have your best interests in mind and they know the extent of what was done. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I recommend that my patients not do any strenuous exercise for six weeks after their surgeries.  Then, they should start to ease back into it, listening to their bodies.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Race training after a mommy make--over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Please ask your surgeon for specific guidance.
  • I do not allow patients to start any exercise except walking, swimming and arm weights for about 6 weeks.
  • Then people start back slowly and build up.
  • Follow your surgeon's guidance and don't rush it - better to walk across the finish line than hurt yourself starting too soon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Every plastic surgeon will have different guidelines regarding what and when you can resume physical activity after surgery. Best to consult with your individual physician. You may be able to resume lower body exercises or things that don't involve a lot of arm motion or core work sooner. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

When can I train for a race post Mommy Makeover?

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommending following your surgeon's instructions for post-op activity.

The recovery protocol for my patients is as follows:
No spikes i heart rate or blood pressure for the first 2 weeks. At 2 weeks, you can do very light cardio (basically just walking). You may increase intensity and duration as tolerated over the next few weeks, but avoid any core strengthening work. At 6 weeks you are considered restriction free.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your race!

Post Mommy Makeover Exercise

You should consult your physician along the way to make sure he or she clears you for exercise. Most of us usually will allow light exercise at 4 weeks and start exerting at 6 weeks. Of course, if your surgeon has concerns then they would slow you down.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby Sang

The best person to advise you is your surgeon , but maybe it helps to see guide lines from other doctors. In my practice i allow cardio and aerobic activity after 20 days, weight lifting after 8 weeks and specific training to prepare for matches or a marathon i allow after 4 months. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Returning to activity after mommy makeover.

Specific restrictions should always come only from your own surgeon. In my practice I restrict activity targeting the abdominal muscles for six weeks. Aerobic activity can begin wants the incisions are sealed in stable usually 10 days to two weeks.