After Labiaplasty Surgery when is It Ok to Return to Yoga, Go Swimming or Go for a Run?

Labiaplasty Recovery

Every woman is different-as is every surgery and recovery.  Generally
speaking, I like my patients to really “take it easy” for the first
couple of days after surgery-rest, eat healthy, drink plenty of water
and give their bodies a chance to heal naturally.  You can plan on
getting back to work in 2-3 day.   Ice packs for the first 24 hours (and
I know it’s not terribly comfortable) can help tremendously with
swelling and pain.

My first follow-up exam is at 2 weeks and I ask my patients to refrain from any vigorous exercise until this exam.  Once I check a patient’s recovery personally, I usually release them to low-impact exercises that are “comfortable”, such as walking or the elliptical.   Nothing hi-impact, getting on a saddle, jarring,  hyper extending or sex at this point and generally not for at least 4-6 weeks.  You really want give yourself time to heal properly and my best advise it to to listen to your body. 

I always get questions regarding “getting in water.”  I allow my patients to shower immediately after surgery with a hypoallergenic soap.  And even suggest my patients take sitz baths a few days after surgery.  Water is not only very soothing, but is cleansing and healing.  I prefer to see a patient in-person again before swimming.

Typically, it’s business as usual in 6 weeks, but again, it’s a very individual process.  Always consult with your surgeon if you have any questions. 

Dr Lori Warren

Louisville Urogynecologist

Exercise after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. I generally recommend six weeks after labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction before engaging in strenuous activity. The incisions may not quite be ready for all the friction and pressure that accompanies increased activity. If you engage in strenuous activity that doesn't directly apply pressure or friction to the labia or clitoris, then you might consider this ~ 4weeks.
I would definitely check with your surgeon on their post-op instructions.

I recommend waiting 4 weeks for heavy exercising and swimming (provided wound healed completely).  I have my patients wait 6 weeks for sexual intercourse.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Returning to Running, Swimming, and Yoga After Labiaplasty

Generally, if the surgical site is healing well and without complications, at one month from the time of your surgery, you can return to running, swimming, or yoga.  Many patients will apply a lubricant for the first few weeks after resuming running or similar activities to minimize any irritation.  Sexual intercourse is allowed usually at 6 weeks after a labiaplasty.  Of course, the best recommendation is to ask your surgeon for their guidelines.  Best  of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and return to activities

Sex in 6 weeks if all looks normal on last doctors exam. Running in 3 weeks. No pool for 3 weeks. The tissue in this area is fragile and it is better to let things heal a bit longer then risking a problem. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Activities after labiaplasty

should be cleared with your surgeon.  In general, I am in agreement with Dr. Alter's guidelines and recommend the same for my patients.

Curtis Wong, MD

Activity after labiaplasty

I am conservative as I do not want any injury to my suture lines. If you had a wedge labiaplasty, I do not allow swimming or yoga for a month. Sexual intercourse is resumed at six weeks.  I do not perform trimming labiaplasties.  You really should ask your doctor.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty post-op activity

Although ever surgeon is a little different with their specific guidelines for their patients, I generally allow patients to resume stationary (seated or laying down) exercises after 2 weeks, swimming/bath-tubs/Jacuzzi and motion exercises after 3 weeks, and sexual activity after 4 weeks...pain and tenderness permitting.  Glad to help

Ryan Stanton, MD

Recovery after labiaplasty in Los Angeles

My patients who undergo labiaplasty procedures, whether they are mini labiaplasty or traditional labiaplasty procedures, typically wait one month prior to intimacy.  We advise all patients to set up a follow up exam before beginning an active or strenuous exercise regimen. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS