After Breast Surgery, Will my Breasts Lose Their Erotic Sensitivities?

Lost of Nipple Sensation after Breast Surgery

Loss of sensation to the nipple/areolar area can happen with any breast surgery, but is fortunately rare.  It is most uncommon after breast augmentation and if it occurs, it is usually temporary.  If this is a major concern for you, discuss it carefully with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.

Loss of sensation

Loss of sensation in the nipple/areola is fortunately an uncommon occurrence.In my experience, permanent loss of of sensation may be due to stretching of the sensory nerves by using very large implants causing a stretch injury or pressure on the nerves, extent of dissection which can damage the nerves, and the size of implant. I find that the location of the incision is not usually the reason for loss of sensation.
Choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon is important when considering surgery, as it will lower your chances of complications.

After breast surgery, will my breasts lose their erotic sensitivities?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Erotic sensitivities at risk?

Dear Jannie,
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with hyper-sensitivity. 
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Changes in Sensitivity Following Breast Augmentation

Changes in sensation are normally temporary and resolve in the weeks or months following surgery. It is very rare that permanent changes occur. 

Breast sinsitivitie loss after breast implant surgery.

Losing full sensation is very rare. However there is a small possibility of losing sensation. Usually you will experience hypersensitivity for about 3 months after surgery and then the sensation will be back to normal. Your nipple and or breast skin might partially lose sensation. It may take up to two years for full sensation to return.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Yes, nipple numbness is a know risk of breast surgery

Usually not, but yes, nipple numbness is a know risk of breast surgery. Changes in nipple sensation happen about 10% of the time. This usally gets better over 3-6 months but sometimes it can be permanent.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Nipple sensation after breast augmentation.

Nipple sensation can change following any breast operation. Some numbness can occur following augmentation, although in most patients this returns to normal. Regardless, nipple sensitivity changes are a known complication with any breast operation and should be discussed with your surgeon before surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - After Breast Surgery, Will my Breasts Lose Their Erotic Sensitivities?

Usually not.  In fact, if anything, my patients generally reported enhancement of all aspects - both physical and emotional/psychological.  Whether for the women themselves, their partners, or all involved, this procedure typically augments everything....That being said, the risk of diminished or alteration sensation, and all its consequences, is real and has to be taken seriously when considering this surgery.  More extensive discussions are available on many forums.  In general, though, this procedure tends to benefits patients from many different standpoints.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Sensitivity of nipples

Most patients have normal sensation return after breast augmentation. usually patients have some numbness from swelling and then it improves. however, there is a small percentage of patients that do not have normal sensation return.