Breast Augmentation Revision: How Long Until They Feel Real?

I had salines put in about 4 months ago and did not like them so I had them exchanged for smaller 250 cc silicones through the aerola.They dont seem swollen now 3 weeks after surgery and the incision is healing really well but i can feel the implant in my breast just as much as I did my saline and it is hard and tender at the bottom of my breast.Will they soften up more just like they did before or are they pretty much the final result wen u hav a revision? (I was a small c before implants)

Softness After Surgery: Ask Your Surgeon

With a primary breast augmentation, the breast generally improve in softness during the weeks and months following surgery.

With a revision, it is best to have your surgeon evaluate.  WIthout knowing the specific findings and techniques of your specific surgery, it is impossible to determine if you will soften further.

See your surgeon soon.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation feels real

I usually tell my patients that you are about 85% of the way to your final result in 3 months and achieve it by one year.

Your final results following a breast augmentation are mostly present; including "dropping of the implant", when implants are below the muscle, within the first 3 months for most and certainly by a year. Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant.
As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. I will explain in the link below.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast softening after surgery

Thank you for your question. Congrats on the surgery. It may take months for the breasts to soften, and they may never soften to the pre-surgical state. In addition, the greater the implant to breast tissue ratio, the more the implant will affect the longterm firmness (or softness) of the breast. Since you exchanged the saline for smaller silicone implants, I would expect you to feel a difference once everything has healed.  I would exercise patience and see how things change with every few weeks that pass by.

Swelling after Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question.  It is normal for you to have swelling at this point after your revision.  Barring any scar tissue formation, your breasts will continue to soften and it will be 3-4 months before you will see your final result.

Breast Augmentation Revision

Implants, by and large, take 6-8 weeks to see any settling and to see the final shape and contour both for saline and silicone implants. After 3 months you will see the final result and that is when you can tell if there are any contour problems or contracture that they can be addressed.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Post op breast Augmentation Revision

I would be optimistic that your symptoms will improve over the next two months. It is still quite early but if it persists, get worse or you have a fever, I would see your plastic surgeon.

Richard Linderman, MD

3wks is very early after surgery breast-they will feel different

3wks is very early after surgery, especially if a capsulectomy was performed.  You can be sure to that it will change.  I have attached an information page on healing following breast augmentation at my website detailing what to expect with tips that might help.  Wishing you the best.

Chen Lee MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Swelling takes time to resolve.

The firmness you feel is not uncommon. It can take several months for the breast swelling to resolve, particularly after a revision. Techniques such as implant massage can hasten this recovery, but consult with your plastic surgeon prior to starting massage. In most instances, this clears up by 3 months.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation revision

There are many reasons why your implants may still feel somewhat hard, and you should consult with your plastic surgeon to be evaluated. Although silicone implants may feel more natural than saline implants there are other factors which influence the appearance and feel of your breasts after breast augmentation. Since you have already had 2 breast augmentation surgeries you have scar tissue in the breasts and additional surgery may not produce the result you expect.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Timing for breast revisions

It all depends on how your breasts are in about 4-6 months.  After this time, all of the swelling will be gone and the breast implants will be fully healed by then.  At this point, if you need any revisions I would do them at this time.  Good luck!