Mommy Makeover for African Americans?

After only 1 pregnancy, I've looked this way for 10 yrs. It's been devastating. I'm currently 29 years old, and hope I'm a good candidate for a Mommy makeover. I've been researching procedures and really like the short scar vertical (lollipop) breast lift with silicone breast implants, but don't much see it performed on African Americans.

Also with my severe striae, will a tummy tuck help, or only add more scars? I don't expect plastic surgery to make me perfect. But can I expect good results from a Mommy makeover or in my case make matters worse. Note: I weigh 165lbs-plan to lose 30 before considering surgery.

Mommy makeover for African Americans

You will be a good candiate for mommy makeover, especially after 30lbs of weight that you are planning to lose.  With breast augmentation/lift and tummy tuck/lipo of waist, you will get a good body contour.  As long as you do not have tendency to form keloid scar, your scar will heal well.  The good thing with tummy tuck in your case is that most of your striae (stretch marks) are in your lower abdomen, which will be removed from tummy tuck!  You will have a hip-to-hip scar, that can be hidden in your bikini line.  Good luck with your surgery.

Mommy makeover for african american

You are an excellent candidate. In the Dominican Republic we work with african american womens everyday and for that we have alot of experience and excellent results in the mommy makeovers in this population.

Manuel Diaz, MD

Am I a GOOD Mommy Make-Over Candidate?

Regarding: "Mommy Makeover for African Americans?

Also with my severe striae, will a tummy tuck help, or only add more scars? I don't expect plastic surgery to make me perfect. But can I expect good results from a Mommy makeover or in my case make matters worse. Note: I weigh 165lbs-plan to lose 30 before considering surgery."

You would do very well with a Mommy Make-Over set of operations. The operations do not ethnically dependent and are done regardless of race. The only determinant of success are having a BMI in the mid 20's and having completed one's family. The operations can be done on obese woman but the results are not as stunning as they are on thin ones such as yourself. Moreover, it makes no sense to perform these operations in between pregnancies which will undo everything - it is best to do them when you are done having children.

A Short-Scar Breast Lift is all you need. It will get you perky, full breasts without implants. A Tummy Tuck will get rid of the vast majority of the stretch marks below the belly button, narrow your waist, flatten your tummy, get rid of the indented ?C-section scar, lift a sagging Mons pubis and may even smooth some anterior thigh cellulite.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Mommy Makeover for African Americans

You can definitely consider a mommy makeover.  As you have likely read, most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. I perform these procedures as part of a “mommy makeover” for patients who want an improved figure after having children. Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can take a serious toll on a woman’s body, and many moms find that no amount of diet and exercise can restore their pre-baby figures.

Procedures commonly performed during mommy makeovers include:

Abominoplasty (tummy tuck)Breast Augmentation +/- Lift, or Breast Lift only without implants, liposuction

These procedures can be performed in one stage or multiple stages depending on the patient's goals, health status and other screening criteria. After pregnancy, breasts can lose their youthful position and shape, the tummy can become stretched and lose its tone, and extra fat may get deposited in areas that are not so flattering. The plastic surgery procedures above are intended to correct those conditions and help restore your pre-pregnancy figure.

A common concern many of my african american patients have is scarring - namely, keloid scars.  If you have not experienced any keloiding from prior surgeries, it is unlikely you will experience it now.  However, with any contouring procedures, you must accept some degree of scar to achieve that better form.  

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Mommy makeover for African Americans

African-Americans make great candidates for a mommy makeover. As you know, a mommy makeover is a great combination of abdominal and breast surgery performed at the same time. It is best to be evaluated by an experienced surgeon who has performed the surgeries simultaneously. Discuss your concerns regarding the shape and size of the breast and abdomen and describe your aesthetic goals as fully as possible. In African-American patients, a discussion should he have regarding the size and shape of the breast and abdomen and how they will balance with each other. Also discuss the scarring process and the risk of hypertrophic scars or keloids. 

Mommy Makeover in African Americans

The other plastic surgeons have made some very good comments. I would like to emphasize a few points. African Americans do have a higher incidence of keloid formation. If you have a family history of this, or if you yourself have had one, then one would have to be concerned that it might happen in the surgical scars. If there is no history, then that is a positive, but not a guarantee that you won't form one. Having said that, I have performed such surgery in many many African Americans.

Once you lose the weight, you may have enough loose skin that the lollipop scar won't be the best approach for the lift. Also, as you appear now in your picture, there is enough breast tissue that an implant is not needed -- by putting one in, the breast becomes heavier and more prone to drooping again. Once you lose the weight, that may change.

The incision for the tummy tuck is low and will be well hidden. Most, but not all of the striae will be gone once the excess skin is removed.

The bottom line is that I feel you can expect good results from a "mommy makeover". Good luck!

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover is an excellent option

Hi there-

You appear to be an excellent candidate for a Mommy Makeover!

I would give you the following advice:

• Lose the weight you are planning on losing FIRST
  • Your priorities should be (in order of diminishing importance):
    • Finding a SURGEON you like and can trust
    • Carefully communicating your goals
    • Listening to the options and what you could reasonably expect
    • Investigating the anesthesia provider and facility
  • Do NOT shop for a surgeon willing to perform the procedure you think you want- listen to their recommendations for you
  • NEVER shop for the lowest price... you are going to get what you pay for- pay a little, and you will usually get a little.

Good luck on the path to a beautiful new you!

Fo more advice on finding a surgeon, the Mommy Makeover, or anything else plastic surgery, follow this link:

Mommy makeover only if you do not plan to have any more children

Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution to your situation. I would discourage you from large implants. I would suggest a full breast lift with reduction of the areola circumference. You may add small silicone implants for upper breast fullness. The quality of the inverted T scar is unpredictable although over the last 30 years, and that is how long I have been in practice, I had a fairly successful outcomes.

One can better predict upon consultation when the quality of you skin is examined. You also need a tummytuck with muscle tightening. It will get rid of your stretch marks but it will create a long suprapubic scar and a scar around you bellybutton. Again the quality of the scar is unpredictable-altho i am not sure from the picture whether you have a scar there already. You must weigh the pros and cons of each procedure. However, if you are planning more children I would not have any surgery till you are done. 

Helen S. Colen, MD

Race is irrelevant in Mommy Makeover

You have what can be improved with a breast lift and tummy tuck. You race is not important, your understanding of the procedures and desire to have them fixed is all that counts.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Mommy makeover breast lifting and abdominoplasty in Afro-Americans

You have great thoughtful questions and a good case for analysis.

The weight by itself cannot be used in assessing a patient. The weight to height ratio is more helpful. If a patient is in the process of losing weight it is better to wait for a stable weight before doing any body contouring surgery (abdominoplasty, breast lift or reduction etc.). The doctor needs to work from a baseline body habitus in order to plan an appropriate surgery. The patient who is in a state of flux with respect to body weight is like a moving target-much harder to get the bulls eye. The weight should be stable for 3 to 6 months before undergoing the surgery. Also after the weight loss there may be some skin shrinkage (the amount dependent on age, genetics etc) that can affect procedure planning.

The key to choosing a pattern of skin removal for a breast lift is how much skin has to be removed, how high does the nipple have to be raised. Using a cut only around the areola (dark circle around the nippel) you can only lift the nipple about 3cm. If you try to do more the outer donut circumference becomes too much greater than
the inner donut circumference. This leads to a corrugated skin surface around the nipple-areola complex that can be quite disfiguring. It will also flatten the breast peak in the front to back direction. For elevation in the 3 to 6cm range a vertical
incision/scar under the nipple areola complex is required to take up this excess skin (lollipop approach). For even greater elevation of the nipple another incision must be made along the infrabreast crease (anchor or inverted T approach) to avoid
leaving corrugated skin at the midpoint of this crease which is also unsightly. Severe corrugation can also create healing problems. Most afro-americans get the inverted T approach because most of them need more nipple elevation whether it is breast reduction or breast lifting.

Clearly the most bang for your buck or degree of improvement would be after an abdominoplasty/tummy tuck. The majority of the stretchmarks below the belly button would be removed in the process. Those currently above the belly button would be shifted to a lower position where they would be easier to cover with clothing. Also the muscle would be suture tightened so you would have a flatter abdomen with a more hour glass shaped figure. Depending on the pattern of skin removal your thigh skin could be tightened in the process but that might increase the visibility of the thigh stretchmarks.

Afro-americans have a greater risk of forming bad scars after any surgery but if you follow a proper scar management regimen after surgery that risk can be minimized. Don't just have the surgery and go on your merry way make sure the doctor sees you in the following months for scar control.

Aaron Stone, MD