Is same dose of second course of accutane good for long term remission?

I got acne after my teens like when i was 19 years old.Got loads of tropical treatments and last year got accutane for 3 months 20 mg/day.It cleared me up for around an year.Now my acne has retuned only half as bad as before,mostly papules but too red.Would the same low dosage work for 100% remission this time.I am 24 yrs old female with 5'4" height and weight 45kgs.Thanks!

Accutane dosing

Hello there and thank you for your question. Isotretinoin is a great drug and when used appropriately can lead to long term remission or significant improvement in many. I would, however, never guarantee 100% remission in anyone. To better the likelihood of getting long term remission, a patient should receive the appropriate cumulative dose (120-150 mg/kg), which is usually spread out over the course of 4-6 months. According to your weight, you should have received 5400-6750 mg of isotretinoin. Your prescribed dose of 20 mg/day x 3 months falls short of this cumulative dose by a lot. For the best results, it is recommended that the full course of isotretinoin be received. Please see a board certified dermatologist for recommendations and good luck!

New Orleans Dermatologist