What Advice Can U Give Me About my Asymmetry, Can It Be Fixed? I Know I Won't Have 100% Symmetry but Can I Get Close? (photo)

I have already seen a facial surgeon, but was turned down for surgery through the nhs .I have a prominent left side, the muscle on my jaw is larger, and the surgeon also told me my jaw bone was longer on that side. My chin is also 4mm out of line and my lip seems to be larger on the left side maybe due to this. It is noticeable in photos and in person and I'm very conscious of it in my everyday life which makes it hard for me to have confidence, I am very depressed with it.

Doctor Answers 4

I have significant facial asymmetry, what should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It looks like you have a variant of hemifacial microsomia. One side of your face (mostly the mandible) has not formed as well as the other.  Although fillers can be used, at your age I would avoid anything temporary as it will be much more expensive and time consuming in the long run.  I would recommend seeking out a craniofacial surgeon or potentially an OMFS (although many do not take insurance) for a full evaluation.  If your teeth come together well, then an implant on the right jaw can do an excellent and permanent job of improving your symmetry with one simple operation.  If you have more pronounced skeletal problems that require realignment of your bite, then you need someone experienced with sagital split osteotomies and Lefort advancements to give you the best, permanent outcome. Consider calling a nearby university plastic surgery department or OMFS school as they many times will have resources to help you out. Don't be depressed!  Everyone has some facial asymmetry and most people don't notice such things (although that might be all you see when looking in the mirror).

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry can be improved

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To begin with, nobody is perfectly symmetrical. However, if this asymmetry bothers you it can be improved in different ways, depending on how you would like to approach it. You can certainly use Radiesse and a HA filler(Perlane, Restylane, Juvederm) to improve symmetry and might also use some botox. See a doctor that has experience and that you trust and carefully discuss your concerns. Make sure to tell it all or you won't be happy. 

Facial asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You look nice in your photos you sent, but I do notice the asymmetry .  As you pointed out there is a slight jaw prominence on the left and perhaps the left lip is also a bit larger than the right.  I would try injecting a hyaluronic acid filler into the right cheek, jaw and lip to help even out the asymmetry. The fillers typically last 6-9 months.  If you do not like the results it can be dissolved with a  hyaluronidase injection, which is a nice piece of mind, especially if you have not had fillers before.  I would make an appointment with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has a lot of filler experience.  I hope this helps.  Lana Long, M.D.

Lana Long, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon

You might also like...

Filler service can balance this.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am not sure that surgery is appropriate for this small asymmetry.  It might be helpful to explore your emotional concern with this issue to determine if your concern is normal or pathologic.  Individuals with body dysmorphic disorder are much harder to help.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.